Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Leveller by Julia Durango Review @harperteen @julia_durango

The Leveller (The Leveller, #1)
Release date: June 23, 2015
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: YA Sci-Fi/Romance
Series: The Leveller #1


Nixy Bauer is a self-made Leveller. Her job? Dragging kids out of virtual reality and back to their parents in the real world. It’s normally easy cash, but Nixy’s latest mission is fraught with real danger, intrigue, and romance.

Nixy Bauer is used to her classmates being very, very unhappy to see her. After all, she’s a bounty hunter in a virtual reality gaming world. Kids in the MEEP, as they call it, play entirely with their minds, while their bodies languish in a sleeplike state on the couch. Irritated parents, looking to wrench their kids back to reality, hire Nixy to jump into the game and retrieve them.

But when the game’s billionaire developer loses track of his own son in the MEEP, Nixy is in for the biggest challenge of her bounty-hunting career. Wyn Salvador isn’t some lazy kid looking to escape his homework: Wyn does not want to be found. And he’s left behind a suicide note. Nixy takes the job but quickly discovers that Wyn’s not hiding—he’s being held inside the game against his will. But who is holding him captive, and why?

Nixy and Wyn attempt to fight their way out of a mind game unlike any they’ve encountered, and the battle brings them closer than either could have imagined. But when the whole world is virtual, how can Nixy possibly know if her feelings are real?

Gamers and action fans of all types will dive straight into the MEEP, thanks to Julia Durango’s cinematic storytelling. A touch of romance adds some heart to Nixy’s vivid, multidimensional journey through Wyn’s tricked-out virtual city, and constant twists keep readers flying through to the breathtaking end.



My Rating: 5 Roses

With thrills, twists, and a bit of romance, The Leveller was a fantastic YA read that I really enjoyed. From the expansive setting to the betrayals and secrets agendas, this book was excellent and I really loved it.

The setting was interesting, with the characters being in a virtual world most of the time. I liked how it was portrayed, though I would have liked to have seen the endless possibilities of a virtual world shown in the setting. But, regardless, I thought the setting was well done.

Nixy was awesome. She was tough, clever, and definitely not one to be cowed by some virtual monsters. Or even real ones, for that matter. She definitely proved herself as a badass and I look forward to seeing more of that in book 2.

Wyn was great as well. Though I didn't get to know him as much as we did Nixy, what I did see of him was adorable. He was as clever as Nixy, just as determined, and super sweet to boot. I thought he was wonderful.

The romance was light but sweet. Though Nixy and Wyn had other things on their minds, their mutual crushes were never far from their thoughts either. I definitely hope things work out for them.

The plot moved quickly and kept me hooked all the way through. There were plenty of thrills that kept me on the edge of my seat, along with a few twists and some unexpected betrayals. I really liked the story and the ending, though abrupt, has me curious about what will happen in the next book.

The Leveller was an excellent YA read. It had action, romance, and a few surprises in store. I really enjoyed all of it. YA lovers, this is a book worth the read.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment