Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Griever's Mark Book Tour + Review @khurleybooks

Click on the banner for the tour schedule.
Welcome to my post for the Griever's Mark book tour! I have a review coming up. But, first, allow me to introduce the book:


Release date: November 11, 2014
Genre: YA Fantasy Romance

Before Astarti’s mother abandoned her to the deadly ocean tides, she gave her infant daughter a parting gift: a tattoo known as the Griever’s Mark, meant to carry her into death. But before the tide could claim her, the Earthmaker Belos, cast out by his people for his cruelty and for delving into forbidden magic, found and saved her. At least, that’s his story.

For seventeen years, Astarti has served Belos, using her control of the energy world, known as the Drift, to help Belos gain power throughout the kingdom of Kelda. Though she hates her master, the Leash he has anchored deep within her makes defiance impossible.

But when Logan, a handsome Earthmaker with his own reasons to hate Belos, recognizes that Astarti may be more than she seems, Astarti begins to unravel Belos’s lies: about her Mark, about her parents, and, most importantly, about her power. Astarti also discovers that Belos’s plans are bigger and more terrible than anyone has guessed, and she must decide: how much will she risk to stand against him?



My Rating: 5 Roses

A delightfully imaginative, truly excellent YA fantasy, The Griever's Mark was a brilliant read that I absolutely loved. It had a richly built world, engaging character, and a few twists along the way. From start to finish, it was a fantastic read.

The world-building was great. The world that the author created was lush and drew me in completely to the story.

Astarti was a wonderful heroine. She was a dynamic character from the start. She held a lot of hate for the person that Belos had made her become, even as she fought him in her own small ways. Even with the Leash, she was determined to find a way to do what she felt was right. She was a strong, clever character and I really liked him.

Logan was just as great. He was impulsive and determined to do what he believed was right, even if that meant bending or breaking a few rules. He was wonderful, sweet and intent on protecting Astarti no matter what. I absolutely adored him.

The romance was very sweet. Astarti and Logan had a connection from the start and it only grew as they got to know each other. After that ending, I'm just hoping they can find a way to be together.

The plot was fast-paced and I was totally hooked the entire way through. There were plenty of twists along the way, and a few unexpected secrets revealed. I loved the story and the ending has me anxious to find out what happens next. Can't wait for book 2!

The Griever's Mark was a fantastic YA fantasy. I absolutely loved this book. It was simply amazing. YA lovers, this is a book you won't want to miss.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

About the Author:
I’m Katherine Hurley, author of The Griever’s Mark series. Book 1 will be out in November 2014 and Book 2 in spring of 2015.
My love of myth and legend led me inexorably into fantasy, and I have no intention of leaving. Ever. I grew up riding horses and finally, finally, finally have one of my very own. (I’m hoping Astarti will get some quality horse time at some point, but Drifters don’t really need horses. Hmm.) I’m also an avid (but amateur!) mountain biker and whitewater kayaker.

I was born in New Mexico, grew up in Kansas, got my MFA in Michigan, and now live in West Virginia. The most beautiful place I’ve ever been is New Zealand.


No comments:

Post a Comment