Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Memory of Your Kiss by Wilma Counts Review

The Memory of Your Kiss
Release date: March 17, 2015
Publisher: Lyrical Press
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance

An Untimely Encounter…

When her father falls gravely ill, eighteen-year-old Sydney Isabella Waverly dutifully agrees to marry the earl whose estate borders her family’s modest country home. But on a trip to Bath before she weds, Sydney meets the enigmatic, heroic Captain Zachary Quentin, with whom she feels an unmistakable mutual attraction.

Still, they have no choice but to part ways, regretting what might have been. Sydney cannot know that one day they will meet again under vastly changed circumstances, that Zachary will play an unexpected role in her life—and that the man she never forgot still ignites her heart. All that will remain is to find out if he feels the same way…



My Rating: 2 Roses

I'm a little on the fence about this one but, since it was an ultimately nice story, I will say that I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best romance I've read, but it was a sweet read and I was okay with it.

The characters, to start with, were good. Sydney was dignified and kind no matter that case and a firm believer in helping others. Though that occasionally came off as taking stupid risks. Zachary was a total sweetie. When he cared about someone, he went all in and was determined to protect those left in his care. I really liked both characters.

The romance was okay, but not great, due to an issue I'll discuss later. Sydney and Zachary obviously cared about each other from the moment they met and, even though some seemingly impossible odds stood in their way, their feelings never quite died. I thought they were sweet together.

The issue with this book was the way the story was set up. We spend over 2/3 of the book on what seemed like backstory: how Sydney and Zachary met and a full account of their time apart. It took most of the book for them to actually meet again and even longer for the romance between them to actually reignite. That really dragged down the book. If we had gotten just a few chapters of backstory and spent the rest of the book on their reunion, I would have liked the story much more. But, as it was, the romance and the conflicts that came about with the death of Sydney's husband felt rushed and not as good as they could have been. This kept me from really liking the book and, though I enjoyed it overall, it definitely wasn't a great read.

The Memory of Your Kiss was an okay romance. I definitely had issues with it that brought the book down and kept me from really being able to like it but I did still enjoy it. It was a nice read but nothing more. 

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment