Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Ring from a Marquess by Christine Merrill Review

A Ring from a Marquess
Release date: March 17, 2015
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance

Mistress or Wife?

Independent Margot de Bryun has no intention of giving a man control of her life! Although handsome rake Stephen Standish, Marquess of Fanworth, does pique her interest… Maybe a man can offer other advantages?

Stephen sees Margot as perfect marriage material—talented, intelligent and alluring. But when a stolen family ruby is traced to the jewelry shop Margot owns, Stephen is infuriated and demands she become his mistress. Except Margot's not one to be easily tamed—and whether she be mistress or wife, sparks will certainly fly!



My Rating: 2 Roses

A Ring from a Marquess was an okay historical romance. It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it overall.

Both character were good. They each had their virtues, with Margot's cleverness and independence, along with Stephen's sweetness and protectiveness over his loved ones. However, despite their good qualities, they both frustrated me multiple times. They seemed to be in a bad habit of misunderstandings, assumptions, and allowing themselves to believe the worst from each other. It seemed like they were determined to take the most difficult road that they could. It got really aggravating after a while and brought down my appreciation of the characters and my ability to enjoy the story.

The romance was iffy. I thought Margot and Stephen were well matched and sweet together. But, like I said, they seemed determined to make things difficult for themselves. I still liked them as a couple, though.

The plot moved quickly, though I was only a little interested for about the first half of the book. It wasn't until Margot and Stephen started to figure things out that I got more engaged in the story. However, I still enjoyed it. Despite the issues, it was an okay read. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but it might be worth looking up.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment