Friday, February 20, 2015

Death Marked by Leah Cypess Review @LeahCypess @harperteen

Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
Release date: March 3, 2015
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Genre: YA Fantasy Romance
Series: Death Sworn #2


A young sorceress’s entire life has been shaped to destroy the empire controlling her world. But if everything she knows is a lie, will she even want to fulfill her destiny? The sequel to Death Sworn is just as full of magic and surprising revelations, and will thrill fans of Leigh Bardugo and Robin LaFevers.

At seventeen, Ileni lost her magical power and was exiled to the hidden caves of the assassins. She never thought she would survive long. But she discovered she was always meant to end up, powerless, in the caves as part of an elder sorcerer’s plan to destroy the evil Empire they'd battled so long. Except that Ileni is not an assassin, and she doesn't want to be a weapon. And, after everything, she’s not even sure she knows the truth. Now, at the very heart of the Empire—its academy for sorcerers—the truth is what she seeks. What she finds challenges every belief she holds dear—and it threatens her fledgling romance with the young master of assassins.

Leah Cypess spins an intricate and beautiful conclusion to Ileni's story. In the end, it may not be the epic decisions that bring down an empire, but the small ones that pierce the heart.



My Rating: 3.5 Roses

A great sequel full of secrets and unexpected twists, Death Marked was an enjoyable YA read. It wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped it would be, but I still really liked it.

Ileni was forced to face a lot of hard truths in this book, mainly that the black and white world she believed in was actually filled with shades of gray. She had to adapt to those new truths and struggled to find out which way was right. I understood her struggle, but I also got frustrated with it. She just spent so much of the book being indecisive. I wanted to see her actively seeking out the truth and making a decision when she had all the facts. Her inability to make that decision got old really fast and kept the book from being as interesting as it could be. Rather than getting action from her, I was getting a whole bunch of wavering. It wasn't to the point that she became a bad character, but it made me like her less than I originally did.

Sorin was featured less in this book, though we got a little of his POV. He had his own battle and his own views and, though he loved Ileni, those views were increasingly misaligned with hers. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about his character in this book. But, I still liked him and I understood why his character took the path that it did.

There were a few new characters introduced, sorcerers of the Empire who were much more than what they were made out to be by their enemies. I thought Evin and his little brother was adorable. The others were interesting as well.

The plot was steadily paced and it dragged a bit in a few places because of Ileni's aforementioned indecisiveness. There were plenty of secrets revealed and nothing was quite what it seemed. I definitely wasn't expecting where the story was going to end up, but it was fitting for the characters.

Death Marked was a great YA fantasy. It had some flaws, but I still liked it. It was definitely a book that kept me guessing. YA lovers, this is a book worth looking up.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

1 comment:

  1. I've heard mostly disappointing things about this book but I really enjoyed Death Sworn so I definitely want to give Death Marked a try~ Hope I'll like the ending :)

    ReplyDelete