Sunday, January 11, 2015

Shattered by Ava Conway Review

Release date: January 5, 2015
Publisher: Pocket Star
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance

In this thrilling and sexy new novel following Hollow, a psychiatric intern starts to question her values and training when she falls in forbidden love with one of her patients.

For the first time in her life, Mia Horton isn’t afraid of the future. Equipped with a new major, a new internship, and a new life, she is finally able to put the past behind her—that is, until she meets Flynn McKenna. Flynn’s boyish charm and rugged good looks make her feel things she doesn’t want to feel, shaking the foundations of her carefully constructed world. With Flynn, Mia craves things she knows she can never have and wonders if she’ll ever be rid of the silent curse that seems to plague all of the women in her family.

Well on his way to being the youngest mixed martial arts champion in the world, Flynn uses fighting to provide for his impoverished family. Then one day an accident forces him to the sidelines. His failure to achieve success devastates his parents and starts a downward spiral of guilt and self-loathing that lands him at Newton Heights Mental Hospital. He has given up on all hope, when a gorgeous young intern helps him see that there’s more to life than winning, and that love is the most valuable prize of all.



My Rating: 2.5 Roses

Shattered was a good New Adult romance and, while it didn't meet my every expectation, it was a enjoyable read. It was emotional, with sweet romance, and I liked it overall.

Mia was a little iffy for me. She didn't make the best first impression. She came off as a condescending snob and it took a while for that impression to be revised. I especially didn't like the almost superior way she thought of the patients at first. And, this might seem like a small thing, but she was constantly going on about how she wanted to help patients "bury" their problems, which didn't strike me as right considering she should be helping them solve their problems, not put them away so they could pop up again later. She did change over the course of the book: letting her walls down, reevaluating her priorities, and realizing that what she was working so hard to achieve might not be what she wanted. By the end, I was okay with her.

I really wish we had gotten to see more of Flynn. From what we do see, it was clear that he was an absolute sweetie. He was loyal to his loved ones, sometimes to his detriment, and determined to care for them, no matter the circumstances. I wish we had gotten to see the resolution to his issues, the steps he took to bring himself back from the pit he was stuck in. I think it would have made both the character and the story more interesting, especially because I honestly found his problems more interesting that Mia's. But, as a character, I really liked him.

The romance was good. Despite any issues I had with the character, I really though Mia and Flynn were great together. They helped each other motivate themselves to fix their problems, though the responsibility to do so was ultimately on them. I thought they were sweet together.

The plot was well paced and kept me interested all the way through. Though I did have issues with the book, I still enjoyed the story overall. It wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was a decent read.

Emotional and romantic, Shattered was a nice new adult read. It has its issues, but it was good overall. Romance lovers, I don't know if I would recommend this, but you might want to look it up.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment