Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Red Queen by @VictoriaAveyard Review @harperteen

Red Queen
Release date: February 10, 2015
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Series: Red Queen Trilogy #1


Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood--those with red and those with silver. Mare and her family are lowly Reds, destined to serve the Silver elite whose supernatural abilities make them nearly gods. Mare steals what she can to help her family survive, but when her best friend is conscripted into the army she gambles everything to win his freedom. A twist of fate leads her to the royal palace itself, where, in front of the king and all his nobles, she discovers a power of her own--an ability she didn't know she had. Except . . . her blood is Red.

To hide this impossibility, the king forces her into the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks her new position to aid the Scarlet Guard--the leaders of a Red rebellion. Her actions put into motion a deadly and violent dance, pitting prince against prince--and Mare against her own heart.

From debut author Victoria Aveyard comes a lush, vivid fantasy series where loyalty and desire can tear you apart and the only certainty is betrayal.



My Rating: 5 Roses

Wow. This book was one hell of a ride. With constant twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat, Red Queen was an amazing YA fantasy. This book managed to take me by surprise more than once and had me completely hooked. I absolutely LOVED it!

Mare was an amazing heroine. She had a lot of growth, just within this one book. She started off with a strict view of the world, always sure that she was right. But, as the book went on and so many secrets were revealed, so many games were played, and she started to realize that nothing was as it seemed and the black and white view of the world she had didn't allow for all those shades of gray. And, throughout all that, she was consistently a strong character who did everything she could to not only survive, but protect her loved ones and make a difference. She was an excellent character and I can't wait to see how things go for her in book 2.

The two princes, Cal and Maven, were both interesting character. They were both complex and hid quite a few secrets. And those secrets meant that their roles changed as more and more of them were revealed, all the way until a huge betrayal that set the stage and totally blew me away. They each had their own motives and things with them weren't so easily split into "good" and "bad." I can't say more without giving too much away, but I thought they were both delightfully enigmatic characters.

The romance in this book was light. The focus was on the political games at play. It did, however, play a role in the story and add another element to the manipulations that were pulling everyone's strings. Though after that ending, things are looking dark in the romance department. I'm excited to see how it plays out, or if it even does, in the next book.

The plot was fast paced and I was utterly riveted the entire way through. The political intrigue, secrets, manipulations, and betrayals kept things unpredictable. With all the twists and turns and unexpected surprises, I was totally one the edge of my seat. And the final betrayal that was revealed left me reeling and completely changed the game. I loved the story and the ending has me itching to get my hands on book 2. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Red Queen was a brilliant YA fantasy that I absolutely loved. It was thrilling and unpredictable, complete with twists, secrets, and shocking betrayals. And I enjoyed every bit of it. YA lovers, this book is a must read.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment