Saturday, December 27, 2014

Stages of Desire by Julia Tagan

Stages of Desire
Release date: January 5, 2015
Publisher: Lyrical Press
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance

To be or not to be—in love…

As a ward of the Duchess of Dorset, Harriet can hardly expect more from a match than the ringing endorsement of “from what I’ve heard, the man is financially secure and his teeth are quite regular.” After all, she’s only the lowly daughter of traveling actors, not the actual daughter of the duchess.

William Talbot, Earl of Abingdon is set to marry the duchess’s daughter. After his elder brother’s scandalous death, his family’s reputation is paramount, and he’ll allow nothing to damage it again. But when Harriet disappears to save her father from debtor’s prison, the scandal threatens William and his intended’s family. The simple task of fetching the duchess’s runaway ward turns complicated when Harriet insists on traveling with her father’s acting company. William’s forced to tag along, and finds himself entranced. The stage transforms Harriet into a free-spirited, captivating beauty. But, someone’s been sabotaging the theater company, and instead of facing scandal, William and Harriet discover a threat not only to their growing passion, but to their lives…



My Rating: 2 Roses

A nice historical romance, Stages of Desire was a good read. It wasn't the best, but I did enjoy reading it.

The best part of the book by far was Harriet. She was a wonderful heroine. Strong, resilient, and determined to finally live for her own happiness, she was eminently likable. She had a lot of confidence in herself and it showed in how she refused to let anyone make her feel lesser. I thought she was great.

On the other hand was William. There were some moments where he was sweet and showed how good of a man he could be when he wasn't caught up in stuffiness. But, much of the time, he acted like an imbecile. He was so caught up in appearances that he did some stupid things that ended up hurting the woman he said he loved. It made me want to punch him. On more than one occasion. I was just not as happy with him as I could have been.

Because of this, the romance was only okay with me. It was obvious that Harriet and William loved each other but William's bullheadedness made things frustrating. I wanted a happy ending for them, though, so I did think that they were good together.

The plot was enjoyable. It kept me interested the entire way through. It wasn't an amazing story, but it was a nice read. I don't now if I would recommend it, since I did find the hero so frustrating, but if you feel like he won't bother you, then go for it.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment