Sunday, December 21, 2014

Master of Pleasure by @DelilahMarvelle Review

Master of Pleasure (School of Gallantry, #5)
Release date: November 28, 2014
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: School of Gallantry #5


The greatest divide between a man and a woman is not the one society sets before them but the one they set before themselves...

After Miss Leona Olivia Webster had allowed herself to fall in love with a dashing childhood friend who had left her scorned and pregnant, she is done chasing her happily-ever-after. Shunned by society, she dedicates herself to raising her young son and putting money in their pockets. She doesn't expect to be drawn to her latest master, a brooding man of hulking presence who carves random messages into walls with his Persian blade as a means of starting a flirtation.

Malcolm Gregory Thayer, the earl of Brayton, may have dedicated himself to a life of religious virtue after leaving the monastery due to dark tendencies, but after meeting Leona, he begins to yearn for the life that had never been his. When he meets a retired French courtesan who invites him to embrace what he has long feared, he seizes the opportunity to become the man he always wanted to be. His new mission is clear. He intends to finally serve the one thing he never had: his heart.



My Rating: 4 Roses

Master of Pleasure was a steamy, emotionally deep, and very enjoyable book. It was definitely different in a way that made it unique and a cut away from standard romances. I thought it was great and I really liked it.

Leona was a lovely heroine. Strong and determined to take care of her son above all else, she definitely wasn't a wilting flower. She was slightly oblivious because, despite all the hints that Malcolm was trying to give about his desires, she was still shocked when he out and told her. But, that's understandable given the time period. Overall, I thought she was a great character.

Malcolm was definitely interesting. Right from the start, we get a deep look into his mind and his fears. His desire for pain and his fear that his desire was wrong. A fear so deep that he maintained a life of chastity to avoid the temptation in a Herculean show of self control. He saw himself negatively because of his fears but, to everyone else, he was unquestionably a hero. He couldn't leave behind a person in need and asked for nothing in return from all the people he helped. He was very sweet, if a little gruff, and just wonderful in general. I absolutely adored him.

The romance was both sweet and steamy. The chemistry between Leona and Malcolm was definitely hot and, when they gave in to their desires, it was hot off that charts. I was a little iffy about the romance overall though and I can't quite put my finger on why. They closest I can get is that it seemed like their relationship became so focused on Malcolm's ability to accept himself and then Leona's ability to accept him that it took away from the deeper relationship, if that makes any sense. I wanted a greater sense of connection and getting to know each other than I did. It wasn't a deal breaker, but I wish that there had been greater balance. However, I still thought they were a lovely couple.

The plot moved quickly and kept me interested all the way through. There were a couple of inconsistencies that distracted me. For example, if Malcolm was planning to live in Persia, what exactly was he going to do about his earldom and all the responsibility that went with it? Also, I wish we had gotten to see what happened with Nasser and his conflict in the end. But, overall, I really enjoyed the story and I liked the ending.

Master of Pleasure was an enjoyable historical romance. Emotional, sweet, and steamy, it was a great book that I liked. Romance lovers, if you want something a little different, then you'll want to check this book out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment