Sunday, December 14, 2014

I Wish by Elizabeth Langston Review @SpencerHillP @langstonEtc

I Wish (I Wish, #1)
Release date: November 18, 2014
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: I Wish #1


Lacey Linden is hiding the truth of her life—a depressed mom, a crumbling house, and bills too big to pay. While her high school classmates see a girl with a ready smile and good grades, Lacey spends her evenings seeking ways to save her family. On a get-cash-quick trip to the flea market, Lacey stumbles over a music box that seemingly begs her to take it home. She does, only to find it is inhabited by a gorgeous "genie." He offers her a month of wishes, one per day, but there's a catch. Each wish must behumanly possible.

Grant belongs to a league of supernatural beings, dedicated to serving humans in need. After two years of fulfilling the boring wishes of conventional teens, he is one assignment away from promotion to a challenging new role with more daring cases. Yet his month with Lacey is everything that he expects and nothing like he imagines. Lacey and Grant soon discover that the most difficult task of all might be saying goodbye.



My Rating: 4 Roses

A richly captivating and lovely YA read, I Wish was definitely a great book. From its well portrayed emotions to the engaging characters, this book was wonderful and I really liked it.

Lacey was definitely a strong character. Her father had died when she was young, her stepfather died a few years later, and her mother fell off the deep end after dealing (or not dealing, I guess) with all that grief. That left Lacey to taking care of her catatonic mother and little brother. She was certainly tough, protective over her family, and determined to do anything to take care of them. My only complaint is that her strength became stubbornness on a couple of occasions, when she was stuck on seeing other people's kindness as pity rather than a friend helping a friend. Other than that, though, I thought she was great.

Grant was good as well. His character was a little more shaky. On one had, he had some great character growth. At the end of each chapter, there was a report on that day's wish that he would send to his boss and I liked how his mindset and tone changed as the book went on. Not to mention how sweet he was and how caring he was of not only Lacey, but her mother and brother. However, at the same time, I didn't feel like we got to fully know his character. Things like his past, his true thoughts of his job. Basically anything about him that didn't pertain specifically to his happenings with Lacey's family was left out and that kept his character from being as deep as he could be. But, overall, I still liked him.

The romance was light, but worked really well. I thought Lacey and Grant were great together, though after that ending I wonder how things will go for them.

The plot was steadily paced. This author really does a great job of drawing the reader into the story with the captivating language and richly emotional world she creates, so that made sure I was kept engaged all the way through. I really liked the story and the ending has me curious to find out what happens next.

I Wish was a lovely YA read that I really enjoyed. With its realistically drawn characters and deep emotions, this book was definitely great. YA lovers, this is a book worth checking out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment