Sunday, November 16, 2014

Witchrise by Victoria Lamb Review @harlequinteen

Witchrise (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #3)
Release date: September 30, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: YA Historical/Paranormal Romance
Series: The Tudor Witch Trilogy #3


Only one witch can rise above the coming storm ...

When Tudor witch Meg Lytton receives an unexpected legacy - her mother's magical wand, ring and spellbook - she has no idea her future happiness is in danger. For the witchfinder Marcus Dent is back in her dreams, and he will use any weapon to gain her newfound powers for himself.

Now Meg must discover the secret of Invictus, her mother's magical ring. Summoned back to Hatfield, she knows a battle is coming. But Meg is no longer alone in her struggle against Dent. Surrounded by her friends, she faces her greatest challenge head-on: losing Alejandro, her beloved. For it seems the Spanish novice has been keeping secrets from them all.

Powers clash and hearts break in the spellbinding third book of The Tudor Witch Trilogy



My Rating: 3 Roses

Romantic and thrilling, Witchrise was a good conclusion to the Tudor Witch trilogy. I wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be, but it did a nice job of wrapping everything up. So, while I was a little disappointed, I did like it overall.

All the characters were still great in this book.
Meg was still just as strong, willful, and independent as ever. She was determined to take don Marcus Dent and do what was best for herself. When she realized the full extent of her powers, she was definitely a force to be reckoned with. I already liked her before and I still like her now.

Alejandro was still adorably sweet and devoted to Meg. He put her safety above all else, even when she was rejecting him. He was loyal, clever, and just all around wonderful and I adored him.

We get to see more of Richard in this book. He was smart, though still prone to brooding, and loyal to Meg despite being heart-broken about her. Honestly, I felt really bad for the guy. He really did love Meg and he was a good guy. I thought he was great.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

I really wasn't happy with romance. While I liked the intensity between them and how they were both so loyal to each other, there were some things about it that I didn't like. For one, most of the romance in the book was Meg thinking "I love him so much but I can't marry him because I would have to give up my magic." Over and over and over again. It got SO repetitive. And, Alejandro never asked her to give up her magic. It was just assumed that practicing magic as a nobleman's wife would have been too dangerous. But, he never asked that of her because he loved her too much to force her into giving up something she loved. But, what really bothered me was how it was all resolved. Even after Meg had rejected his proposal and refused to continue their relationship, he went back to Spain and gave up everything because, to him, it wasn't worth anything without Meg. I'm not saying that Meg should have given up magic because I know it was important to her and I didn't think she should have given it up. But it just seemed unfair that Alejandro didn't think twice about giving up his titles, land, and wealth even when he couldn't be with Meg, just because it wasn't worth as much to him as the woman he loved. Meanwhile, Meg didn't consider giving up magic for one second. In the end, Alejandro gave up his place in the Holy Order, all his titles and wealth, and leaves behind his family and his home for her, while Meg never considered doing the same. Again, I'm not saying that I wanted her to, I'm just saying that it turned out to be unfair to Alejandro. I think a relationship should always be equal in how much each person compromises and this one wasn't.
One last thing about the romance. I really didn't like how Meg allowed Richard to kiss her 3 times and told him that she wished she had fallen in love with him instead of Alejandro, while Alejandro was sitting in another room, brokenhearted because Meg had rejected him. That was just really badly done of her, both in regards to Alejandro and Richard, and it made me upset with her.

***END SPOILERS***

Despite my issue with the romance, I still enjoyed the story. It was fast paced and kept me interesting. I was a bit underwhelmed with how the issue of Marcus Dent was resolved, as well as annoyed that Elizabeth and her other servants never gave Meg any credit for basically saving everyone from the psycho. But, I still liked the story and, in the end, all the loose ends were tied. Though this wasn't quite what I was hoping it would be, I still thought it was a good conclusion.

Witchrise was an enjoyable YA read and a nice tie up to the series. While I didn't love it, I still liked it. I'm not sure what other fans of the series will think, but it was, most importantly, a satisfying conclusion.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment