Thursday, November 13, 2014

Whispers from the Past by Elizabeth Langston Review @SpencerHillP @langstonEtc

Whispers from the Past (Whisper Falls #3)
Release date: October 7, 2014
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: Whisper Falls #3


...that's not freedom at all.

With the dangers of the past behind them, Mark and Susanna are reaching for what the future holds. As Mark's final year of high school draws to a close, his focus shifts to choosing a college and moving on. For Susanna, it's time to set down roots and realize dreams of her own.

Yet the whispers from the past continue. A glimmer in the waterfall reveals messages from a dear, old friend. As she fights to resist their call, Susanna must finally confront the consequences that her choices have made across two centuries.



My Rating: 4 Roses


A lovely conclusion to the Whisper Falls series, Whispers from the Past was a sweet and enjoyable read. It was a perfect end to Mark and Susanna's story and I really liked it.

Susanna was great in this book. Having started to settle into the modern world, she wanted to be independent and not have to rely on Mark and his family to take care of her. She preferred to work for herself, even if it was difficult. And, above all, she wanted what was best for Mark, without having to be a burden. She was a lovely character, from the start of the series to the end, and I really liked her.

Mark was wonderful as well. As sweet and kind as ever, this boy was just adorable. I had one issue with him in this book, which I'll explain later, but I still adored him. He was loyal to Susanna and determined to help her adapt to the modern world, though that did lead to some overprotectiveness. He was a perfect, swoon-worthy, absolutely adorable hero and I just loved him.

The romance was perfect. Susanna and Mark were so simply and purely in love. They both wanted what was best for each other and, even when things looked rocky, the only thing never in doubt was their feelings for each other. I though they were an absolutely sweet couple.

***Spoilers ahead***
The one thing that bothered me in this book was something that happened about it the middle. Susanna, thinking that she was holding Mark back, broke up with him. Mark was devastated, of course, but still loved her. However, just a few days after they broke up, he let himself be pulled into a relationship with Gabrielle. Gabrielle basically proposed that they be a couple for her public appearance and he kind of just shrugged and let it happen. And, when everyone, including Gabrielle, assumed that it was a real relationship, he was totally passive about it and just accepted it. That didn't go with his character at all. Especially during moments where a jealous Gabrielle, knowing he would never love her as he loved Susanna, said negative things about her and Mark didn't say anything. It just seemed so unworthy of him as a character and made me think a little less of him. He wasn't fair to both Susanna and Gabrielle and the whole situation didn't strike me right. I just couldn't understand how Mark could be so passive about it and I didn't like it. It brought the book down and made me annoyed with the character. Not enough to ruin anything, but enough that I got irritated.

***End spoilers***

The plot was steadily paced and had me drawn in the entire way through. There were a few twists and some unexpected uncertainty that made me anxious to find out how Mark and Susanna would manage to find their happy ending. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was a perfect wrap up to the series.

Whispers from the Past was a fantastic YA romance that I really enjoyed. It was a perfect conclusion to a wonderful series and I just loved it. Fans of the series, you won't be disappointed with this conclusion. And, YA lovers, this is a series you won't want to miss.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment