Thursday, November 6, 2014

This Is Your Afterlife by Vanessa Barneveld Review @bloomsburykids @vanessab73

This Is Your Afterlife
Release date: October 21, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury Spark
Genre: YA Paranormal (Ghosts) Romance

When the one boy you crushed on in life can't seem to stay away in death, it's hard to be a normal teen when you're a teen paranormal.

Sixteen-year-old Keira Nolan has finally got what she wanted—the captain of the football team in her bedroom. Problem is he’s not in the flesh. He’s a ghost and she’s the only one who can see him.

Keira's determined to do anything to find Jimmy's killer. Even it if means teaming up with his prickly-yet-dangerously-attractive brother, Dan, also Keira's ex-best-friend. Keira finds that her childish crush is fading, but her feelings for Dan are just starting to heat up, and as the story of Jimmy’s murder unfolds, anyone could be a suspect.

This thrilling debut from Vanessa Barneveld crosses over from our world to the next, and brings a whole delightful new meaning to "teen spirit".



My Rating: 4 Roses

A light, sweet, and enjoyable YA read, This Is You Afterlife was a lovely book that I really liked. It was a nice, fun read and I thought it was great.

Keira was a good heroine. She was easy to relate to, with her grief for her recently departed grandmother, her old crush that literally came back to haunt her, and her unresolved feelings for Dan. She was an overall likable character and I thought she was lovely.

The two other major player in the story were Dan and Jimmy.
Jimmy was a sweetie. Lighthearted, sweet, and charming even in death, he was a lovable character. He was wonderful and I adored him.
Dan was similar to his brother in that he was also a genuinely good guy. But, he tended to be more internal about his feelings, quieter in general and, because of that, more intense when he did reveal his emotions. He was sweet and more compassionate than he let on. I thought he was wonderful as well.

The romance was lovely. Keira and Dan had been friends as children and that had started to become more as they grew older. Until Keira let slip that she used to have a crush on Jimmy and Dan bailed. When they started talking again to help find Jimmy's killer, it was clear that those feelings hadn't gone away and continued to grow. They were very sweet together and I thought they were a perfect couple.

I only had one issue with this book and it was that the murder mystery was pretty easy to solve. For about the first third of the book, I didn't know who it was and I was really into the mystery. But, after that, I started to have suspicions about who it was and it wasn't long before I was sure about it. I started to get somewhat annoyed with Keira for being so blind about it because the killer was acting noticeably suspicious and I'm not sure how she didn't pick up on that. The only thing that saved it was that, though I figured out who the killer was, I didn't know the full circumstances behind Jimmy's death and the full reveal of how it happened was pretty intense.  However, the fact that the mystery wasn't as gripping as I hoped it would be brought down the book a little. But, I still liked it overall.

The plot was fast paced and, despite the mystery not being as engaging as I'd hoped, I was kept interested the entire way through. The story was light and enjoyable all the way through and the ending was lovely.

This Is You Afterlife was a wonderful YA read that I really liked. It might not have been perfect, but I still really enjoyed it and I thought it was lovely. YA lovers, this is a book worth checking out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment