Sunday, November 16, 2014

Reluctant Prince by Dani-Lyn Alexander Review


Release date: November 3, 2014
Publisher: Lyrical Press
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: Kingdom of Cymmera #1

Betrayal lies cloaked in shadow.
Seventeen year old Ryleigh Donnovan is certain her life is cursed. Nothing ever goes smoothly, and her first job interview is no exception. An earthquake rocks the building, sending Ryleigh on a frantic search for her younger sister, a search which lands her in the hospital. Terrified they’ll push her for answers she can’t afford to give, Ryleigh flees with a mysterious stranger.

Jackson Maynard is about to be ordained as a Death Dealer, a warrior for the Kingdom of Cymmera, but first he must pass one more test. When he fails to acquire the human girl the prophet has chosen, he’s forced to stand trial for treason. Banished from his realm, he seeks out the girl from the vision, Ryleigh Donnovan, and together they embark on a journey to save his dying kingdom.



My Rating: 1 Rose

Though I liked the idea for Reluctant Prince and I thought it had a lot of potential, it ultimately fell flat for me. There were just too many issues for me to really enjoy the book and I ended up not liking it.

The part that kept me reading was that I really did like the idea of an alternate world that was at war and rife with secrets and betrayal. That curiosity was enough to keep me going but not enough to really make the book.

There were a few problems with the book that brought it down.
First, I didn't feel like I really got to know the characters. The only thing I got to know about Jackson was that he was a prince who didn't really know how to exert the power of his position. The only thing I got to know about Ryleigh was that she was fiercely protective of her sister. Other than that, I didn't really know much about the characters and, because of that, I didn't connect with them.

Next, there was a serious problem with the issue of Mia, Ryleigh's sister. Apparently, she was supposed to be 14. If it hadn't told me that in the beginning, I would have sworn she was a little girl of about 7 or 8. The way she acted, along with the way people treated her and the way she was constantly referred to as a "little girl" or "child" really made her characterization odd. It just seemed so weird and it confused me. It was strange enough that it was a real problem.

Finally, I didn't understand the character of Kai at all. He was Jackson's mentor and the king's adviser. But, he also blatantly disrespected the king and prince in ways that were ridiculous (he even spat at Jackson-HIS PRINCE-at one point). He constantly tried to get Jackson banished or killed and argued with his king over it in incredibly disrespectful ways. It was painfully obvious that he was up to no good. Yet, Jackson, even while the man was trying to get him killed, kept saying that Kai was his mentor and he couldn't think badly of him. Seriously? Even worse, everyone acted as if Kai was the one with more power, rather than the prince and the rightful heir to the throne. It was all just so weird and I just couldn't understand it. How could Jackson, the prince, be up for a trial of treason so quickly for disobeying his king with a justifiable reason, while Kai was incredibly rude to both his king and his prince and he was never threatened with so much as a night in the dungeon? It was just bewildering to me.

Because of all this, I really couldn't enjoy the book. As much as I liked the idea, it just fell flat for me and I didn't like it. 

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment