Sunday, November 9, 2014

Lady Elinor's Wicked Adventures by Lillian Marek

Lady Elinor's Wicked Adventures (Victorian Adventures, #1)
Release date: November 4, 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Historical (Victorian) Romance
Series: Victorian Adventures #1


Harry DeVaux, Viscount Tunbury, loves Lady Elinor Tremaine, but is convinced that his past makes him unworthy of her. He agrees to accompany the Tremaine family to Italy to explore Etruscan ruins, even if it chips away at his resolve to stay away from the delightful woman he loves.

Amid the sightseeing and treasure hunting, Elinor comes to realize that she wants far more from Harry than friendship, but when a dangerous discovery leaves them fighting for their lives, it might just be too late...



My Rating: 3 Roses

A charming, enjoyable historical romance, Lady Elinor's Wicked Adventures was a lovely read. It had some issues but I liked it overall and found it to be a sweet romance.

Elinor was a good heroine. She was clever, independently minded, and just likable in general. I thought she was a great character.

Harry was also wonderful. He believed himself to be unworthy because of his parentage (his Earl and countess parents were known in society as a drunkard and a whore, respectively), but it was immediately obvious that he was a good man. He was sweet and overall adorable. One thing I wished I'd seen more of was his sisters. I liked that he was determined to find a way to take care of them, now that he had the means to do so, but I wish I had gotten more of that. But, the characters himself was great.

The romance was...okay. On one hand, I thought Elinor and Harry were very sweet together. They had known each other for a long time and, before romantic feelings even factored in, they both simply accepted each other as they were. The strange thing about the romance was that, for about the first half, there was barely a hint of it. Both characters acknowledged their feelings but didn't really do anything to act on them. Then, suddenly, the romance was full on, as if a switch had been flicked. It was a little odd and kept the romance from an element that flowed with the rest of the story. But, as a couple, I thought Elinor and Harry were perfect.

I had one other issue with the book and that was the language. At times, it didn't match the time period at all. The worst instance? Elinor and Harry talked about her learning to tackle from football. As in American football. It was SO out of context for an English man and woman to say that in the mid-19th century that I literally had to stop reading for a second. It just completely interrupted the flow and atmosphere of the time period. Small discrepancies don't bother me, but this one was way to big to ignore. So that definitely affected the rating.

The plot was well paced and I was kept interested the entire way through. Despite any issues I had, I found the story to be witty and charming and I enjoyed reading it. And the ending was lovely.

Lady Elinor's Wicked Adventures was a wonderful historical romance. It wasn't perfect, but I still liked it. It was a charming delight of a read and I enjoyed it. Romance lovers, this might be a book you'll want to check out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

2 comments:

  1. I had a good time with this one too and felt the same way about the romance coming on strong all of a sudden. There was so much going on that kept me interested. Nice review, Farrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, too. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete