Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Empire of Shadows by Miriam Forster

Empire of Shadows (Bhinian Empire, #2)
Release date: November 4, 2014
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: YA Fantasy Romance
Series: Bhinian Empire #2

Cast out of her family three years ago, Mara turned to the only place that would take her—a school where students train to protect others. But Mara is stunned when guarding a noble girl in the Empire’s capital turns out to be more dangerous than she could’ve imagined. More shocking still, she finds the boy she thought she had lost forever outside the gates of her new home.

Mara knew her life in the dizzying Imperial city would hold dangers. How could she have known that her heart, as well as her life, would be at stake?

Empire of Shadows will take readers on a spellbinding journey into the world Miriam Forster first introduced in City of a Thousand Dolls—a world with a divided society, deadly courtiers, heroic traitors, and deeply laid conspiracies.



My Rating: 5 Roses

A sweeping, action-packed, thrill-ride of a read, Empire of Shadows was a fantastic YA fantasy. With secrets, danger, and some very sweet romance, this book was brilliant!

First off, can I just say how gorgeous that cover is? It is just beautiful, as lovely as book 1's cover. Every time I look at it, I have to stare for a few seconds because it's just so pretty. But, moving on to the actual story...

Mara was a lovely heroine. She was strong and resilient, surviving through danger, guilt, and grief. And, she was very determined, extremely protective of those she cared about, and definitely a force to be reckoned with if you got on her bad side. I thought she was great.

Emil was the love interest and he was just amazing. So very sweet and intensely loyal to his loved ones. And I loved how he always respected Mara's wishes and was willing to wait for her to have the chance to be together. He was wonderful and I adored him.

The romance was light but so sweet. Mara and Emil were perfect together.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. There were tons of thrills, secrets, traitorous plots, and unexpected twists that kept me on the edge of my seat. And, near the end, I finally realized the connection this book had to book 1. Maybe I should have seen if coming, but it definitely took me by surprise and made the book that much more amazing. I really loved the story and the ending was fantastic. Can't wait to read more from this series!

Empire of Shadows was a brilliant YA fantasy read. This book was epic, from the thrilling danger, traitorous secrets, and sweet romance. I absolutely loved it all! YA lovers, this is definitely a book you won't want to miss.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment