Saturday, November 22, 2014

Earth & Sky by Megan Crewe

Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
Release date: October 28, 2014
Genre: YA Sci-Fi/Dystopia/Romance
Series: Earth & Sky #1


Seventeen-year-old Skylar has been haunted for as long as she can remember by fleeting yet powerful sensations that something is horribly wrong. But despite the panic attacks tormenting her, nothing ever happens, and Sky’s beginning to think she’s crazy. Then she meets a mysterious, otherworldly boy named Win and discovers the shocking truth her premonitions have tapped into: our world no longer belongs to us. For thousands of years, Earth has been at the mercy of alien scientists who care nothing for its inhabitants and are using us as the unwitting subjects of their time-manipulating experiments. Win belongs to a rebel faction seeking to put a stop to it, and he needs Skylar’s help--but with each shift in the past, the very fabric of reality is unraveling, and soon there may be no Earth left to save.


My Rating: 3 Roses

An interesting YA read about a looming presence that saw Earth as an experiment, Earth and Sky was an enjoyable read. It had a couple of issues but, overall, it was a good read.

First, let me start with what I liked about the book.
I liked Skylar's character. She was perceptive and braver than she gave herself credit for. Overall, I liked her. Win was also great. He was charming and I liked how he learned to respect humans as fully capable people as he spent more time with them. He was sweet and likable as well.

The romance was light, more like a potential for romance, as Sky and Win got to know and mutually respect each other.

I really liked the overall idea for the book. The idea that an alien group would use the whole of Earth as an experimental zone was interesting and it definitely had me curious enough to stay interested throughout the story and be interested to see what happens next.

However, the were some problems that brought down the book.
First,  I didn't feel like I fully got to know the characters. The book was so focused on the action that I didn't get enough of the characters. Also, it was a little unbelievable that Sky would so quickly agree to become a renegade time-traveler. Maybe it was because I didn't know her character well enough to believe it but it just didn't strike me as realistic.

The biggest problem, though, was that there were too many holes in the world building. It was a great idea but the explanation just didn't convince me. For example, apparently this had been going on for many years. While the aliens had originally intended to colonize the planet and just do a few experiments to make sure it was stable, they decided against it when their experiments started to have consequences. But, they continued their experiments. Why? Why did they continue to poke around at humans? What purpose did it serve? Why even bother? The only explanation I got for that was that the Kemyans (the aliens) were very set in their ways and didn't like change. But, I didn't feel like that justified why they would continue pointless experiments for many, many years. And there were a lot of other plot holes that just didn't quite fit. And that really brought down the book because I wasn't able to fully believe in the situation.Though I liked the story, I didn't believe in it.

Despite this, I did enjoy the story overall. I was curious enough to keep going and I'm still curious to want to know what happens next. I hope that we'll get more solid explanation and characterization in book 2, because I think this story had a lot of potential and I hope it meets it.

Earth and Sky was an overall good book. There were issues that brought it down but I was still able to enjoy it. I don't know if I would recommend it but it is worth looking up.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment