Sunday, October 5, 2014

Stray by Elissa Sussman

Stray
Release date: October 7, 2014
Publisher: Greenwillow
Genre: YA Fantasy Romance
Series: Four Sisters #1

Princess Aislynn knows all about the curse. Its magic is a part of her, like her awkward nose and thin fingers. It’s also something she can’t control. And girls who can’t control their abilities have a tendency to disappear. So for her own protection, Aislynn is sworn into the Order of Fairy Godmothers where she must spend the rest of her life chaste and devoted to serving another royal family.

Tasked with tending to the sweet, but sheltered Princess Linnea, Aislynn also finds a reluctant friend in the palace gardener, Thackery, who makes no secret of his disdain for her former life. The more time they spend together, though, the more she begins to doubt the rules she has observed so obediently. As Aislynn’s feelings threaten to undo the sacred vows she has taken, she risks not only her own life but Linnea’s as well. With the princess engaged to a devoted follower of The Path, there are some who would do anything to keep Aislynn from straying.



My Rating: 3 Roses

Lovely, enchanting, and enjoyable, Stray was a wonderful YA fantasy read. I really liked this book. With the inventive world, likable characters, and engaging story, this book was great.

The world created in this book was interesting, with its incorporation of fairy tales and different classes of royalty. I would have liked a bit more explanation, though. Why did the class systems and strict rules come about? What was the full story behind the Wicked Queen and why was she so important? I assume we'll get more of that in the next book, but I wish we had gotten more, so that I could understand the world that the author created.

Aislynn was a good heroine. She was resilient and strong in a quiet way. I wish that she had been more active, though. She was so passive about everything that was done to her and took so long to start realizing there might be a different way to live. I get that she had been taught that way of life from birth, but it. Took. So. Long. And, it slowed down the book. I liked her fine, but I hope to see her become strong and more active in the next book.

Thackery was wonderful. He was very sweet and totally endearing. We didn't see much of him in this book, but I hope we get more in the next one, because I found him to be adorable.

The romance was light in this book, but it was sweet and well done.

The plot was okay. It didn't keep me totally hooked, though. It just took so long for everything to unfold, and it didn't help that Aislynn was so passive. But, I still enjoyed the story and the ending has me curious about what is to come next.

Stray was a lovely YA read. It wasn't perfect, but I still enjoyed it. Enchanting, lovely, and engaging, it was a good read. YA lovers, this is a book worth checking out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment