Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
Release date: October 14, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Genre: YA Fantasy Romance
Series: Snow Like Ashes #1

A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.



My Rating: 5 Roses

A sweeping, action-packed YA read, full of secrets, romance, and a beautifully describe setting, Snow Like Ashes was absolutely brilliant! I loved this book so much! It kept me hooked from page 1 and didn't let go the entire way through. Loved it, loved it, loved it!

The world-building for this book was well done. It's set in a world split into 8 kingdoms and balanced by fours. The scenery was lushly described and it left me with a clear picture of the book's world that drew me in. I would like to know more about the other kingdoms mentioned in this book, but I assume we'll get more of that in the next books.

Meira was a wonderful heroine. She was very strong, fiercely determined, and unwaveringly loyal to her kingdom. She was intent on fighting for her nearly broken kingdom and had the strength to do just that. She definitely wasn't someone to be underestimated. I really liked her. She was a fantastic character.

There were actually 2 love interests in this book: Mather and Theron, who was introduced later in the book. Both were wonderful. Mather was very sweet, very devoted to his kingdom and, even while straining under the pressure of all the expectations on him, he was willing to do whatever he needed to do to save Winter.
Theron was clever, sweet, and totally adorable. He had all the making of a good leader and proved it several times over throughout the book. Honestly, I adored both of them, but I'm leaning slightly towards one.We'll see if that's who Meira ends up with.

The love triangle was well handled. The romance wasn't the main point of the book, with the struggles of Winter being in the forefront of everyone's mind, but it was always an undercurrent throughout the plot. It wasn't done in a way that was annoying, but rather in a way that made me still like all three characters (which has only been accomplished in a few books for me). I thought it was very sweet and I can't wait to see how it turns out for them all in the next book.

Though this book was fairly long, it went by quickly and I was totally hooked from page 1 and I couldn't put it down. The political struggles, the action, the danger, and the countless secrets, all kept me on the edge of my seat. There was one particular secret that I never saw coming. I loved the story and the ending was awesome. I can't wait to see what's coming up next in book 2!

Snow Like Ashes was a brilliant YA fantasy read. I absolutely loved it! From the sweeping scenery, to the constant thrills, political intrigue, and sweet romance, this book was amazing. YA lovers, you definitely need to read this book.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

2 comments:

  1. I hope I'll like it as much as you when I read it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do, too. Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete