Thursday, October 16, 2014

Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker

Beware the Wild
Release date: October 21, 2014
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance

It's an oppressively hot and sticky morning in June when Sterling and her brother, Phin, have an argument that compels him to run into the town swamp -- the one that strikes fear in all the residents of Sticks, Louisiana. Phin doesn't return. Instead, a girl named Lenora May climbs out, and now Sterling is the only person in Sticks who remembers her brother ever existed.

Sterling needs to figure out what the swamp's done with her beloved brother and how Lenora May is connected to his disappearance -- and loner boy Heath Durham might be the only one who can help her.

This debut novel is full of atmosphere, twists and turns, and a swoon-worthy romance.



My Rating: 4 Roses

Dark, creepy, and engaging, Beware the Wild was a fantastic YA read. I really liked this delightfully dark book. It drew me in, while sending chills down my spine. I really enjoyed reading this wonderful book.

Without a doubt, my favorite part of the book is how the swamp was portrayed as its own character. Ominous and omnipotent, it hung over the characters as they tried to find a way to save Phin. It had a life and a character of its own that was subtly creepy and created a sense of foreboding. I absolutely loved how that was done.

 Sterling was a lovely heroine. She was absolutely determined to bring back her brother and strong enough to brave the swamp to do so. She was clever, tough, and likable. I thought she was great.

Heath was also wonderful. He had gone through the same tragedy of losing someone to the swamp and having no one remember and, this time, he was determined not to give up. He was also sweet and a rather endearing character. I really liked him.

The romance was light, but very sweet. Sterling and Heath made a badass team and I though they were great together.

The plot was fast paced and, though it took me a chapter or two to get my bearings in the story, I was kept hooked most of the way through. The thrills of constant creepiness kept on totally engaged. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was perfect.

Beware the Wild was a fantastic YA read. I really liked this book. Dark, creepy, and delightfully atmospheric, this book was wonderful. YA readers, this is a book you won't want to miss.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment