Sunday, October 19, 2014

An Illicit Engagement by Cecilia Gray

An Illicit Engagement (The Gentlemen Next Door, #2)
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: The Gentlemen Next Door #2


Lord Lucas Willoughby earned his moniker as the Matchmaking Baron after his six engagements ended with each lady happily wed - to someone else. He swears off marriage proposals, until his headstrong neighbor proposes something else entirely.

Chastity Drummond has her sights set on a man who barely sees her as a woman much less a potential wife. She can't seem to get him on bended knee, but knows an engagement to the Matchmaking Baron will turn his head.

Lucas and Chastity's charade takes on a life of its. As feigned attraction becomes real, they wonder if they might already be perfectly matched.

Their illicit engagement will inevitably end in marriage – but to whom?



My Rating: 3 Roses

A nice historical romance novella that I enjoyed, An Illicit Engagement was a lovely read. I didn't like it as much as the first in the series, but I still thought it was a good romance

Chastity was a good heroine. I liked that she was clever and independent. But, I was annoyed with her stubbornness about marrying a man who was more suited to being a potential business partner. And, it seemed like she was very insensitive about the fact that Lucas had 6 fiances leave him, with the way she kept poking at it. But, I was still okay with her.

Lucas was wonderful. He realized that he hadn't loved his 6 fiances but, when he realize that he truly loved Chastity, he was determined not to let her get away. I thought he was adorable.

The romance was good. Despite Chastity's obliviousness, they were a well matched couple and I thought they were sweet together.

The plot moved quickly and I was kept interested the entire way through. I liked the story and the ending was lovely.

An Illicit Engagement was a sweet historical romance novella. It wasn't perfect, but I did enjoy it. Romance lovers, if you want a quick read, then you might want to check this book out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment