Sunday, September 28, 2014

Lord of Regrets by Sabrina Darby

Lord of Regrets
Release date: September 8, 2014
Publisher: Entangled: Scandalous
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance

Despite the love and sensuous addiction they shared, Lord Marcus Templeton could never marry Natasha Polinoff. Not while he remained under his grandfather's vise-like control. But when Natasha announces her out-of-wedlock pregnancy—which would destroy his inheritance—Templeton explodes into a rage. One that sends Natasha running into the unforgiving night, never to return...
3
Now five years have passed, and Lord Templeton has finally found his beloved. And this time, the viscount will have her.

However, Natasha has settled into a new life with her young daughter. Lord Templeton's arrival fills her with terrible fear . . . and undeniable longing. He has come to claim her. Yet even as her body still longs for his touch, her anger still burns. She is no mere possession. But Lord Templeton will do whatever it takes to bring her back into his arms and back into his bed. Even if it means resorting to blackmail to make Natasha his wife...



My Rating: 3 Roses

An okay read, Lord of Regrets was a historical romance full of emotions. It wasn't my favorite romance, but it was an enjoyable read that had its good points and I liked it overall.

Let's start with what I liked.
I liked that Natasha was determined to take care of herself for the 5 years that she was on her own. She wasn't in an easy situation, but she managed to survive.
Leona, her and Marcus's daughter, was a delight. The little girl was a sweetheart and, for me, the best part of the book.
Marcus, despite his mistake that sent Natasha away, was a sweetie. He was determined to find a way to be free of his grandfather's machinations and eventually found a way to support himself without need of his grandfather's favor. Not to mention he had the patience of a saint and never gave up on finding Natasha, even after five years. He proved himself a better man than the one who chased Natasha off and I ended up really liking him.

Now to what I didn't like. Which  was mainly Natasha.
First off, she literally had to wait of total of 15 minutes after Marcus stormed off instead of running away the second he was gone and none of the misery she went through would have happened. Marcus had quickly come to his senses after his temper cooled and went right back to Natasha to apologize and ask for her hand in marriage, but she was already gone. I mean, I know that what he said was terrible, but he regretted it right away and spent five years trying to find Natasha to make amends. It just seemed like Natasha was trying to make her life harder. Rather than waiting a little for Marcus to calm down enough to discuss the situation like rational adults, she just booked it. Then, she spent five years running away from him, rather than just confronting him, for better or for worse. Then, after they reunite and he told her that he had regretted his words right away and had spent five years looking for her to make amends, she kept pushing him away. I just found it hard to understand her actions. It seemed more like her being dramatic and determined to hold on to her bitterness rather than justifiable actions and whenever things got too difficult, she ran instead of facing her troubles. It made me spend a lot of the book rolling my eyes and generally wanting to shake some sense into her. So, that brought the book down in my estimation. However, I still liked it overall.

The plot moved quickly and I was kept interested the entire way through. Despite my impatience with Natasha, I did like that the book was full of deep emotions and a story about how second chances take work, especially because the two had to rebuild their trust in each other. I enjoyed the story and I liked the ending.

Lord of Regrets was a good historical romance. It had its faults, but I still liked it overall. I don't know if I would recommend it, but if you think what bothered me won't bother you then there is a good story to be read.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment