Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Maiden of Ireland by Susan Wiggs

The Maiden of Ireland
Release date: August 26, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin: Mira
Genre: Historical Romance

John Wesley Hawkins was condemned to hang, accused of treason and heresy. As he's transported to the scaffold at Tyburn, however, the Lord Protector steps in and offers him the hand of mercy--if Wesley agrees to travel to Ireland on a dangerous mission into the heart of the Irish resistance against English rule. He'll have to seduce the rebels' secrets from a headstrong Irishwoman, but that shouldn't be a problem for a man of Wesley's reputation....

Caitlin MacBride is mistress of the beleaguered Irish castle Clonmuir, and she makes no secret of her loyalty to her countrymen. She's determined to remain strong for her people, but a wish for true love one evening at sunset yields the one thing that may sway her resolve. When Wesley walks out of the mist that fateful night, Caitlin's faith in the magic of Ireland is briefly restored--until she discovers he's one of the treacherous Englishmen she has spent her life fighting against.



My Rating: 3.5 Roses

A richly detailed, enjoyable historical romance, The Maiden of Ireland was a lovely read. I liked this book. I haven't read many romances set in Cromwell's era, especially not in Ireland, so it was new for me and I'm happy to say that I thought it was wonderful.

Caitlin was a great heroine. She was very strong and fiercely loyal to her people. Even under the difficult circumstances she found herself in, she didn't falter. She was frustratingly stubborn a couple of times, but nothing too bad. Overall, I really liked her.

Wesley was also wonderful. Like Caitlin, he was very loyal and the poor man had his loyalties torn between his daughter and the woman he loved. Lots of mental conflict there. He was very clever and crafty enough to get himself out of any situation. And, he was also a kind man who, despite the circumstances, was honorable. My only complaint was that, though I understood his reasons for keeping quiet, I wished that he would have told Caitlin about his daughter sooner. It would have saved a lot of heartache. But, otherwise, I really liked him as well.

The romance was very sweet. Caitlin and Wesley were so great together. Despite all the challenges in their way, they fell for each other and I thought it was sweet. And, they definitely had some sensuous heat between them. I thought they were a lovely couple.

The plot was okay. It went by rather slow. I never got disinterested, but, because of the pace, I was never fully hooked. Nonetheless, I was still kept interested the entire way through. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was great.

The Maiden of Ireland was a wonderful historical romance. I really liked it and enjoyed reading it. Romance lovers, this is a book you might want to check out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment