Saturday, August 30, 2014

Rogue in Red Velvet by Lynne Connolly

Rogue in Red Velvet (The Emperors of London, #1)
Release date: September 1, 2014
Publisher: Kensington
Genre: Historical (Georgian) Romance
Series: The Emperors of London #1

When respectable country widow Connstance Rattigan finds herself in a notorious London brothel instead of at the altar, only one person can save her from the auction block.

Alex Vernon, Lord Ripley, walked away from Connie once before, when he discovered she was engaged. Now that her fiancĂ© has betrayed her, he doesn’t intend to leave her again.

Once he has made love to her, Alex feels the situation is resolved. He’ll marry her. But Connie has other ideas.

Only three problems to solve—Connie signed a marriage contract as binding as the marriage ceremony with someone else, she’s disgraced in the eyes of society, and she won’t marry him until her name is cleared.



My Rating: 4.5 Roses

A thoroughly sweet historical romance, Rogue in Red Velvet was a lovely read. I really liked this book. It was a lighter read that I enjoyed from start to finish.

Connie was a likable heroine. She was strong enough to endure a scandal without backing down and determined not to enter a marriage without equal footing. My only issue with her was that I don't get why she was so hung up on saying yes to Alex considering her rushed first marriage and her practical almost-second marriage. It's not like she didn't want to get married, so I didn't get what her problem was with getting married to a man she actually liked. Especially because the solution to her conditions turned out to be oddly easy. Regardless, I still liked her.

Alex was a total sweetie. He was utterly devoted to Connie, determined to help her and win her over. And, he was also a genuinely kind man with a thoroughly honorable character. I thought he was absolutely adorable.

The romance was lovely. Even with Connie's hesitance, their feelings for each other were never in doubt. And, they had some hot chemistry between them. I thought they were a great couple.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. My one issue was that, like I mentioned before, the solutions to Connie's problems were strangely simple and a bit anti-climatic. However, I still enjoyed the story and the ending was perfect.

Rogue in Red Velvet was a wonderful historical romance that I really liked. It was a sweet, enjoyable read. Romance lovers, this is a book worth checking out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment