Monday, August 25, 2014

How the Scoundrel Seduces by Sabrina Jeffries

How the Scoundrel Seduces (The Duke's Men, #3)
Release date: August 19, 2014
Publisher: Pocket Books
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: The Duke's Men #3


The third deliciously sexy novel in the New York Times bestselling Duke's Men historical romance series, featuring an investigator who sets out to find gypsies— and unexpectedly finds love.

Investigator Tristan Bonnaud has one aim in life— to make sure that his half-brother George can't ever ruin his life again. So when the pesky Lady Zoe Keane, the daughter of the Earl of Olivier, shows up demanding that the Duke's Men find a mysterious gypsy woman, he seizes the opportunity to also hunt for a gypsy friend who knows secrets about George. Tristan doesn't expect to uncover Lady Zoe's family secrets, as well... or end up falling for the woman who will risk all to discover the truth.



My Rating: 4 Roses

A fantastic addition to a wonderful series, How the Scoundrel Seduces was a lovely historical romance. From the secrets of the past to the sweet romance, this book was a delight of a read.

Zoe was a good heroine. She was strong-willed and tougher than most would give her credit for. My only issue with her was that she was very impulsive and that sometimes led to her saying or doing stupid things. Other than that, though, I liked her character.

Tristan was wonderful. He liked to portray the mask of a scoundrel, but there was much more to him than that. He was clever, very loyal to this loved ones, and he could be so sweet when he let his walls down. He was adorable and I really liked him.

The romance was sweet. Zoe and Tristan were great together. They both had questionable pasts, but they both still accepted each other as they were. And there was definitely some sensuous heat between these two. I thought they were a lovely couple.

 I had two other issues with this book. 1) I didn't like how Zoe's cousin, Mr. Keane, was treated by the other characters. I really liked him. He was a fun character, but also genuinely kind and smarter than he was given credit for. But he was either treated as a pawn or made out to be the bad guy, just because Zoe felt like she had to marry him. Even though, right from the beginning, Mr. Keane made it clear that he just wanted to be friends with his cousin and made no indication of wanting to gain her inheritance. I don't know, I just felt like he was treated unfairly. And 2) though I liked this book and everything, I didn't connect with the characters and the story as much as I have with other books by this author. It wasn't that I had a particular problem that I could pinpoint. I just couldn't get into the story as much as I normally do when I read a Sabrina Jeffries book. Neither of these issues was a deal-breaker, however, and I still liked the book.

The plot moved quickly and I was kept interested the entire way through. I really liked how much the Romany were featured in the book and we got a look into their lives. The secrets that were revealed, particularly about Zoe, took me by surprise. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was lovely.

How the Scoundrel Seduces was a wonderful historical romance. With secrets, thrills, and romance, this book was a delightful read and I really liked it. Romance lovers, this is a book you'll want to check out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment