Monday, July 21, 2014

The Fire Wish by Amber Lough

The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
Release date: July 22, 2014
Publisher: Random House Children's
Genre: YA Fantasy
Series: The Jinni Wars #1

A jinni. A princess. And the wish that changes everything...

Najwa is a jinni, training to be a spy in the war against the humans. Zayele is a human on her way to marry a prince of Baghdad—which she’ll do anything to avoid. So she captures Najwa and makes a wish. With a rush of smoke and fire, they fall apart and re-form—as each other. A jinni and a human, trading lives. Both girls must play their parts among enemies who would kill them if the deception were ever discovered—enemies including the young men Najwa and Zayele are just discovering they might love.



My Rating: 4 Roses

An enjoyable YA read, The Fire Wish was a wonderful fantasy romance. With the lush setting, surprising secrets, and engaging story, this book was lovely and I really liked it.

The setting for this book was great. It was well set up and the descriptions were so vivid, I was totally drawn into the Arab-esque world the author created. Also, I appreciate that the author did well it being accurate about the culture. Since I know a lot about Arab culture, I would have noticed any inconsistencies, but this was pretty spot on, for the most part. So, the author did a wonderful job on world-building.

Both heroine in this book were great. The point of view alternated between them, so we get to know both characters. Najwa was great. She was a skilled jinni, very clever and loyal. My only issue was that I wished she stood up to herself more. Zayele had to grow on me. At first, I found her selfish and disdainful. However, over the course of the book, she realized her mistakes and was willing to sacrifice everything to make them right. By the end of the book, I liked her.

Both heroes were wonderful. Kamal was a prince and he was Najwa's love interest. He was sweet in cute, nerdy way that made him endearing. Atish was Zayele's love interest and he was strong, loyal, and willing to do anything for those he cared about. I thought they were both great.

Both romances in this book were good. I wish there had been more development. Maybe because there were two going on at once, there wasn't enough room for depth. It felt a bit shallow, because all it was just a couple of conversations each, the girls thinking longingly about the boys, and, voila, they were in love. I still thought the couples were sweet together, but I wanted more development.

The plot was okay. It started off slow, but picked up about a third of the way through. From them on, I was kept interested. There were thrills along the way, plus a huge secret that I never saw coming. I enjoyed the story and the ending has me curious about what will happen next.

The Fire Wish was a wonderful YA fantasy romance. It has thrills, secrets, and lovely romance, which made for an enjoyable story. YA lovers, this is book worth checking out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

2 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting! And you get two romances!! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always great to have more romance in a book :) Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete