Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Fall of Grace by Julia London

The Fall of Grace (The Cabot Sisters, #2)
Release date: July 29, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin HQN
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: The Cabot Sisters #2

A plan born of desperation…

Once the toast of society, Grace Cabot and her sisters now await the shame of losing high status and fine luxuries upon the death of the Earl of Beckington. The dire circumstances are inevitable unless, of course, Grace's wicked plot to seduce a wealthy viscount into marriage goes off without a single hitch. But once a stolen embrace with the wrong man leads her to be discovered in the arms of Jeffrey, the Earl of Merryton, her plan takes a most unexpected—and scorching—twist.

…and altered by passion.

Governed by routine and ruled by duty, Jeffrey had no desire for a wife before he succumbed to Grace's temptation. Though his golden-haired, in-name-only bride is the definition of disorder, he can't resist wanting her in every way. But once her secrets meet his, society might consider their lives to be ruined beyond repair…while Jeffrey might just see it as a new beginning.



My Rating: 4 Roses

A sweet, enjoyable read, The Fall of Grace was a lovely historical romance. I really liked this book and I enjoyed reading it.

Grace was a good heroine, though I was a bit torn about her. On one hand, she was strong and, once she had all the facts, she was a very understanding person. On the other, there were a few times where she somehow got into blaming Jeffrey for the situation (despite the fact that it was her fault) and she had moments where she seemed very shallow because she bemoaned marrying a serious man rather than a society fop. She got better over the course of the book, though, so I ended up liking her fine.

Jeffrey was an interesting character. He had what I understood was OCD. He had to do everything in eights and everything had to be done in a certain, precise way. Too much chaos would make him anxious and nervous. And, ever since his father had beaten it into him, he had an obsession with preserving the family name. He was a deep character, though I wish we had gotten to explore more of that. Underneath it all, he was a sweet man who was loyal to those he loved. I thought he was adorable.

The romance was good. Grace and Jeffrey got off to a bad start, but theirs was the kind of relationship that grew into love and I like how that was done. The chemistry, however, was there right off the bat and there was certainly some steaminess because of that. I thought they were a lovely couple.

I just want to mention how the OCD was portrayed in the book. For the most part, I thought it was tactfully described and integrated into Jeffrey's character. My one issue was that there seemed to be an overly easy 'fix' for him to calm his obsessions in a way that didn't really fit, especially when it was described as being so deeply ingrained.

The plot was well paced and I was kept interested the entire way through. I enjoyed the story and the ending was perfect.

The Fall of Grace was a lovely historical romance. Other than a few minor issues, I really liked this book. It was an enjoyable read. Romance lovers, you might want to check this book out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment