Sunday, July 6, 2014

Past My Defenses by Wendy Sparrow

Past My Defenses (Taming the Pack, #1)
Release date: June 23, 2014
Publisher: Entangled: Ignite
Genre: Paranormal (Shifter) Romance
Series: Taming the Pack #1

Vanessa is the fastest Lycan around. In wolf form, the only threat she can’t outrun is her allergies. After a feline dander-bomb takes her down, she wakes up naked in a cage staring at a hot park ranger who had no idea what he’d trapped. But ooooh, he smells so good. Mine.

Dane hoped to tame the silver wolf in his kennel, but all bets are off with the deliciously sweet Vanessa on two legs. Her temper makes his pulse race, and he can’t escape the feeling they belong together.

They’re hot as a forest fire even before they scent-match, but Glacier Peak’s Alpha considers Dane a danger to the pack. Meanwhile, Lycans are being poached, and Vanessa has been targeted. Dane will have to keep her close to protect her, but with Vanessa in heat and mad to mate, who will protect him?



My Rating: 3.5 Roses

An overall enjoyable read, Past My Defenses was a good paranormal romance. It had its issues, but, with the sweet romance and some unexpected surprises, I still ended up liking it.

Vanessa was an okay heroine. I liked that she was so loyal to the people she cared about, very determined to protect them, and I liked how her allergies added some humor and made her a more realistic character. Unfortunately, I also found her very frustrating. Whenever things seemed to stop going her way, she ran. And, when it came to having a mate, she just couldn't stop running away. Not only was it annoying, but it was so unfair to Dane. Not to mention she could be reckless and had a tendency to jump to conclusions. It didn't get to the point that I outright disliked her, but I can't say that I really liked her, either. Overall, I was just okay with her...most of the time.

Dane, on the other hand, was amazing. He was so sweet and determined to help keep Vanessa safe. Thrown into a world he never knew about and a very crazy situation, his goal was always to protect her, if that meant grabbing a gun or struggling to learn pack politics. I thought he was wonderful and I adored him.

The romance was good. I wasn't really feeling it because of my issues with Vanessa, but I did root for them, if only because I wanted Dane to be happy. When Vanessa actually stayed for a bit, they were sweet together. There was a lot of chemistry between them, but this was a mostly clean romance. I thought they were a lovely couple.

The plot was well paced and I was kept interested most of the way through. There were a few parts where things started to drag. There were a few surprises along the way, not the least of which was who the killer turned out to be. I never suspected this person, especially not the full involvement this person had in the entire situation. I enjoyed the story and the ending was great.

Past My Defenses was a good paranormal romance. It wasn't perfect, but I did enjoy reading it. Romance lovers, this might be a book you'll want to look up.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment