Sunday, July 27, 2014

Love's Justice by Joan Avery

Love's Justice
Release date: July 21, 2014
Publisher: Entangled: Scandalous
Genre: Historical (Victorian) Romance

London, 1879

American heiress Victoria Wentworth has spent her life blithely ignoring her father's wishes... until he enters her into an unwanted marriage contract with a despicable man. She has two choices: marry the bounder or fight the archaic English laws in court. Her only hope is Hugh Worth, the Earl Montgomery and Lord Chancellor of the Exchequer: her judge and jury. Society paints him as stern and subdued, yet fair. Society didn't warn her that beneath his somber facade beats a passionate heart and soul.

Hugh finds himself irresistibly, inexplicably, drawn to the spirited American, despite himself and his better judgment. As the inconvenient heiress takes on the fight against the very foundation of his life and career, another battle wages in his once cold heart. Everything about her is inappropriate, illogical, and unexpected. Yet, she is a woman he could admire. A woman of intelligence and beliefs that challenge the existing world.

But she is forbidden.



My Rating: 2 Roses

An okay read, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't love it all that much. It wasn't a bad read, but I had one issue with it that just ruined the whole thing for me. Altogether, it wasn't bad, but neither was it that great for me.

Victoria was a frustrating heroine. I wanted to admire that she was so strong and independently minded, but too often, that translated into frustrating stubbornness and borderline meanness. One thing that really annoyed me was how she acted in the courtroom. She acted out, shouted a few times, and then got mad when people told her she could be found in contempt of court. I'm sorry, but that's how all courtrooms work and for all her intelligence, she should have known that. Also, I didn't like that she was so judgmental of Hugh for upholding the law. He was a judge. That was his job. He couldn't just make decisions that didn't have basis in the law. And, I appreciated the theme of women's rights, but Victoria spent a lot of time simply ranting about it, which got old really fast. Near the end of the book, she had a revelation and realized that her intense stubbornness wasn't getting anything accomplished and, if she wanted social change, she couldn't force it overnight. That kept me from really disliking her, but she still wasn't my favorite character.

Hugh was much better, though sometimes I wondered why he put up with Victoria being so judgmental of him. He was a kind man who wanted social change as much as Victoria, but he actually knew the way to accomplish them. He was clever and sweet and an overall very likable hero.

The romance was okay. I can't say I really cared about it all that much because of Victoria, but they were well matched. Both very intelligent, strong-willed, and similarly minded. And they had some chemistry between them. Whether they were arguing or finding other things to occupy their time, there were sparks flying. I thought they were a good couple.

The plot was good. Despite any issued I had with the book, I was still kept interested in the story, though I wasn't totally hooked. It was a decent read and the ending was great.

Love's Justice was an okay historical romance. I didn't love it, but it wasn't bad. I don't know if I would recommend it, but if you want to give it a try, go for it. Maybe you'll like it more than I did.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment