Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Dissonance by Erica O'Rourke + Guest Post

Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
Release date: July 22, 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Genre: YA Sci-Fi/Romance
Series: Dissonance #1

Delancy Sullivan has always known there’s more to reality than what people see. Every time someone makes a choice, a new, parallel world branches off from the existing one. Eating breakfast or skipping it, turning left instead of right, sneaking out instead of staying in bed ~ all of these choices create an alternate universe in which an echo self takes the road not travelled and makes the opposite decision. As a Walker, someone who can navigate between these worlds, Del’s job is to keep all of the dimensions in harmony.

Normally, Del can hear the dissonant frequency that each world emits as clear as a bell. But when a training session in an off-key world goes horribly wrong, she is forbidden from Walking by the Council. But Del’s not big on following the rules and she secretly starts to investigate these other worlds. Something strange is connecting them and it’s not just her random encounters with echo versions of the guy she likes, Simon Lane.

But Del’s decisions have unimaginable consequences and, as she begins to fall for the Echo Simons in each world, she draws closer to a truth that the Council of Walkers is trying to hide ~ a secret that threatens the fate of the entire multiverse.


My Rating: 5 Roses

A thrilling, unpredictable, absolutely brilliant YA sci-fi romance. Dissonance was a fantastic read. I totally loved this book! From the impeccably explained science of parallel universes, to the endless supply of unpredictable twists, and to the super sweet romance, this book was amazing.

The world building in this book was perfect. With a concept as complex as parallel worlds, it would be very easy to get lost in the middle of all the science and still not be able to understand what's going on. But the author did a great job in describing the science behind the worlds and in a way that didn't feel like info dumping. It was slowly revealed and explained in a way that made sense, without leaving any holes. From the actual parallel worlds, to the Echoes of the real people in the Key World, to the Walkers who have the ability to travel between worlds, everything was well described. I really have to commend the author for that because she did a brilliant job.

Del was a lovely heroine. She wasn't perfect. She made mistakes and acted recklessly more than once. She got herself and her friends and family into a ton of trouble. But, she was also very strong, determined, and not afraid to jump into any situation if she thought she would be doing good. She was cleverer than most people ever gave her credit for and she was basically a badass. I really liked her character.

Simon was an interesting character. At first, it was difficult to get to know him, since we would see other versions of him and not as much of the real him. But the other versions (his Echoes) were parts of him, so they were all still confident, clever, and very sweet. And, all that applied to the Original. Like Del, he made mistakes, but he was strong and definitely brave enough to do whatever was necessary to keep his loved ones safe. I absolutely adored him.

The romance was very sweet. I liked how it unfolded slowly and gave it time for their feelings to really deepen. Del and Simon were so sweet together and a perfect match. I thought they were a lovely couple.

I really liked the secondary characters in this book and how they were treated. Eliot, Del's friend, was such a sweet guy who was always their for his best friend. Abbie, Del's sister, came across as a perfectionist type snob at first, but we see deeper into her character as the book went on and she proved to be a clever Walker who would do anything to ensure the safety of the Key World. Monty, Del's grandfather, was interesting on his own right and came with more than one surprise. I thought all three of them were great.

The plot was steadily paced. It didn't move quickly, more like deliberately. It allowed the story to unfold on its own time and the whole parallel universe thing to be explained fully. I was hooked the entire way through. There were tons of twists that kept me on the edge of my seat and more than one surprise that I never saw coming. I really enjoyed the story and the ending has me excited for book 2. Can't wait to read it!

Dissonance was a brilliant YA sci-fi romance. I absolutely loved this book. It had romance, twists, thrills, and several surprises in store. And all of it was amazing. YA lovers, this book is a must read.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
_____________________________________________________________
Guest Post:
Please welcome the author of Dissonance, Erica O'Rourke!

The Path I Didn’t Take:

The summer after my sophomore year of college, a friend (not a boyfriend, just a friend) asked me to move to San Francisco. He was a violinist, and he’d been invited there to study with the head of a famous string quartet. Meanwhile, I was waiting to hear if I had been accepted into the ridiculously competitive English Education program at my university, but I had no backup plan in case I didn’t make the cut. I loved writing, reading, and cooking, but I lacked the confidence and discipline to write for a living, and nobody pays you to sit around read all day, unless you are Robert Redford in Three Days of the Condor. This left cooking.

“Let’s move to California,” my friend said. “I’ll study violin; you’ll go to cooking school. We’ll get an apartment with a bay window and yellow walls. We’ll fill it with good food and music and books. It will be an adventure.”

San Francisco! Amazing architecture and cool summers and water all around! Art and culture and seafood! Now, mostly I am a play-by-the-rules, nose-in-a-book kind of girl, but in my secret heart...I am fond of adventures. And this one was tailor-made for me. I was sold.

Then I was accepted into my English program. My friend won a scholarship to a Midwestern school. The safe and practical path was wide open. The impulse faded, and so did dreams of a yellow apartment. I had the chance to take the road less traveled...and I didn’t.

At the end of the summer I went back to school. Two days later, I met a boy with green eyes and a Southern accent and an old soul. A few years later, I married him. It was the best decision I ever made.

Even so...sometimes when I step on a Cheerio for the millionth time, or my cats throw up on the carpet for the zillionth time, or I waste countless hours in suburban traffic, I imagine myself in that apartment, in the life I didn’t choose. I would have a cute bike with a basket on the front; I would have a fridge full of fancy jams and cheeses. I would go to concerts and art shows. I like to think I’d have better hair. I hope I’d still be writing.

But this is the life I picked: Married in the suburbs with three kids and two cats and a minivan. A fridge full of yogurt and Smuckers and bagels. My hair is...hopeless. The last concert I went to was for the middle school band.

This world I’ve built is messy and funny and chaotic and wonderful and right. On the surface, it couldn’t be more different than that yellow apartment. But as it turns out...the essentials are the same. My bike isn’t cute, but it does have a basket. Next to the Smuckers in our fridge is homemade fennel jam and cheese from a local dairy. As I type this, my daughter is practicing piano in the next room. Our home is overflowing with books – some of which I wrote.

We even have a bay window.


2 comments:

  1. Great review!! This sounds very interesting. I'm excited to pick this book up and follow Del's story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, what a sweet story, Erica! Farrah, I'm so happy you loved Dissonance. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete