Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Girl Who Never Was by Skylar Dorset

The Girl Who Never Was (Otherworld, #1)
Release date: June 3, 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Genre: YA Paranormal/Fantasy Romance
Series: Otherworld #1

In Selkie's family, you don't celebrate birthdays. You don't talk about birthdays. And you never, ever reveal your birth date.

Until now.

The instant Selkie blurts out the truth to Ben in the middle of Boston Common, her whole world shatters.

Because her life has been nothing but a lie—an elaborate enchantment meant to conceal the truth: Selkie is a half-faerie princess.

And her mother wants her dead.



My Rating: 4 Roses

Lovely, enchanting The Girl Who Never Was was a wonderful YA read. I really liked this book. From the sweet romance, to the thrills and all those buried secrets, this book was great.

Selkie was a good heroine. She was tougher than those who were protecting her gave her credit for and she was unfailingly loyal to the people she cared about. And, she definitely became stronger over the course of the book. Overall, I liked her.

Ben was a total sweetie. Strong, clever, and completely devoted to keeping Selkie safe. I can't wait to see more of him in book 2, but after the way this one ended, we'll have to see how that works out.

The romance was very sweet. Even though Selkie and Ben were apart for most of the book, their feelings for each other were always clear. I loved how they were both determined to save each other. I thought they were a lovely couple.

I had one issue with this book, but it was an issue that affected ever part of the book. I wanted more. From everything. I wanted to see and get to know the characters more, particularly Selkie and Ben who, despite being the two main characters, I still didn't get to know all that well. I wanted more explanation into the world of the fae and how exactly the whole enchantment worked and just more detail about it in general. I wanted more from the plot, to go deeper into the story and to have it flow better, because it had a tendency to switch gears in a second and I would be left slightly confused. In general, I felt like a barely skimmed the surface of the story and the characters. This issue didn't ruin the book, but it kept it from going from a good book, to an amazing book.

The plot was well paced and I was kept interested the entire way through. There were tons of thrills and plenty of secrets that kept me engaged. I really enjoyed the story and the ending has me curious about what will happen next. Definitely excited for book 2!

The Girl Who Never Was was a wonderful YA fantasy romance. I really liked this lovely book. The romance was sweet, the thrills were constant, the secrets were surprising, and the story was enjoyable. YA lovers, this is a book worth checking out.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment