Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Take Back the Skies by Lucy Saxon

Take Back the Skies
Release date: June 3, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Genre: YA Sci-Fi Romance
Series: Take Back the Skies #1

Catherine Hunter is the daughter of a senior government official on the island of Anglya. She’s one of the privileged – she has luxurious clothes, plenty to eat, and is protected from the Collections which have ravaged families throughout the land. But Catherine longs to escape the confines of her life, before her dad can marry her off to a government brat and trap her forever.

So Catherine becomes Cat, pretends to be a kid escaping the Collections, and stows away on the skyship Stormdancer. As they leave Anglya behind and brave the storms that fill the skies around the islands of Tellus, Cat’s world becomes more turbulent than she could ever have imagined, and dangerous secrets unravel her old life once and for all . . .


My Rating: 5 Roses

A fast-paced, romantic, thrilling read that managed to truly surprise me, Take Back the Skies was a brilliant YA romance! There were so many secrets, so many twists along the way, that this book managed to be delightfully unpredictable, even without that shocker of an ending. I started out a little wary, but I ended up absolutely loving this book. Fantastic!

Catherine was a lovely heroine. She was definitely a force to be reckoned with. After finally having enough of her father's cruelty, she leaves her life of luxury in favor of a life of freedom. And, along the way, finds out some huge secrets that Anglya's government was keeping under wraps. Secrets that are crazy enough to strike a revolution. I really liked Catherine. She was very strong, extremely determined, and clever enough to take on a corrupt government. I thought she was wonderful.

Fox was Catherine's sky-shipmate and the love interest in this book. He was such a cutie. Very sweet and absolutely adorable. More than that, he was remarkably clever and refused to be daunted. I totally loved him, but the ending...damn but it just broke my heart.

The romance was very sweet. Catherine and Fox were so cute together, and they made a totally badass team. I thought they were an adorable couple.

The secondary characters were also great. They, obviously, weren't explored in depth, but their characters were likable. There were a couple that I wished a could have seen more of, because of the important roles that they played, but I really liked all of the minor characters.

The plot was fast paced, thrilling, and had me totally hooked the entire way through. I was definitely kept on the edge of my seat, with all the action and danger around every corner. The secrets in this book were mind-blowing. The extent of what the government was hiding was a huge surprise. Not to mention all the twists that I never saw coming. I loved the story and the ending...I don't even know what to say about it. It was definitely not what I expected and a bittersweet ending. And, I loved that. It was what really turned it from a good book to a great one. I know this is a series, but I'm not sure what's coming next. The story seemed mostly tied up. But, I'm still super excited to see what's in store in book 2. Can't wait to read it!

Take Back the Skies was a brilliant YA read. I absolutely loved this book. It was delightfully unpredictable, totally thrilling, and adorable romantic. This was a book that definitely manged to take me by surprise. YA lovers, this book is a must read.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment