Sunday, June 15, 2014

Goddess Born by Kari Edgren

Goddess Born
Release date: May 19, 2014
Publisher: Carina Press
Genre: Historical/Paranormal Romance

Pennsylvania, 1730

Selah Kilbrid keeps a dangerous secret: she has the power to heal.

A direct descendent of the Celtic goddess Brigid, it's Selah's sacred duty to help those in need. But as the last of the Goddess Born living in the New World, she learned from an early age to keep her supernatural abilities hidden. The Quaker community of Hopewell has always been welcoming, but there's no doubt they would see her hanged if her gift was revealed.

When a prominent minister threatens to try her with witchcraft unless she becomes his wife, Selah has only one hope--that her betrothed, a distant cousin from Ireland, arrives as planned. Marrying Samuel would keep her secret safe, preserve her sacred bloodline, and protect her from being charged as a witch.

But when news of Samuel's death reaches the Colonies, Selah is truly on her own. Terrified, she faces an impossible choice--forfeit her powers and marry the loathsome Nathan? Or find an imposter to pose as her husband and preserve her birthright?



My Rating: 2 Roses

An enjoyable, sweet read, Goddess Born was a lovely historical romance, with a sprinkle of magic. It wasn't perfect, but I did like it. Overall, it was a good read.

Selah was a good heroine. She was resilient, and determined to escape a fate that others would force on her. She wasn't the most memorable heroine, but I liked her fine.

Henry was the replacement husband and I thought he was wonderful. I wish we had gotten to see more of him, because he was oddly sparse for the first half of the plot and only a little more present for the second half. But, from what I saw, he was sweet and I liked him.

The romance was good. It took a while to start up and even longer for them to finally admit their feelings. But, despite that annoyance, I still thought they were sweet together. And, this one was a clean romance.

The plot was okay. It was slow going at first. I was only mildly interested for the first half of the book, but I got more engaged in the latter half. Overall, I enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was lovely.

Goddess Born was a good historical/paranormal romance. It had its flaws, but it was an overall enjoyable read. I wouldn't outright recommend this book, but it is worth looking up.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment