Thursday, June 5, 2014

Born of Deception by Teri Brown

Born of Deception (Born of Illusion, #2)
Release date: June 10, 2014
Publisher: Balzer & Bray/ Harper Teen
Genre: YA Historical/Paranormal Romance
Series: Born of Illusion #2

Budding illusionist Anna Van Housen is on top of the world: after scoring a spot on a prestigious European vaudeville tour, she has moved to London to chase her dream and to join an underground society for people like her with psychic abilities. Along with her handsome beau, Cole Archer, Anna is prepared to take the city by storm.

But when Anna arrives in London, she finds the group in turmoil. Sensitives are disappearing and, without a suspect, the group’s members are turning on one another. Could the kidnapper be someone within the society itself—or has the nefarious Dr. Boyle followed them to London?

As Cole and Anna begin to unravel the case and secrets about the society are revealed, they find themselves at odds, their plans for romance in London having vanished. Her life in danger and her relationship fizzling, can Anna find a way to track down the killer before he makes her his next victim—or will she have to pay the ultimate price for her powers?

Set in Jazz-Age London, this alluring sequel to Born of Illusion comes alive with sparkling romance, deadly intrigue, and daring magic.


My Rating: 4 Roses

Magical, thrilling, and an absolutely lovely read, Born of Deception was a wonderful YA romance. I loved this book. It wasn't quite as good as book 1, but it definitely didn't disappoint.

Anna was great in this book. She was coming into her powers and becoming more powerful. I had a few issues with her, which I'll talk about later. But, for the most part, I thought she was lovely.

Cole was also awesome. Though he wasn't the best at showing his feelings, he was so sweet. He was very loyal to Anna and determined to keep her safe. I wish we had gotten to see more of him, but I still adored him.

The romance was good. I had a few issues with it (which I'll explain in a second) and I wish that they had been together more throughout the book. But, I still thought they were perfect together. Despite any obstacles, they always loved each other and it was very sweet.

I had two issues with this book, which are tied together. Another love triangle was introduced with Anna and another performer, Billy. I really didn't like it. I didn't think it was necessary. There was already enough drama going on with all the magic and murder, so it didn't need to be there. All it did was cause contention between Anna and Cole, which I thought was all Anna's fault. It really bothered me how she would get jealous about Cole hanging out with his old friend (who happened to be a pretty woman), meanwhile she was going on dates with Billy, not telling her costar that she already had a suitor and allowing herself to continue to spend time with him when she knew she was starting to get feelings for him. All the while, the poor guy was being strung along. Then, she had the nerve to get mad at Cole for getting jealous when he saw them together. Seriously? She was guilty of every assumption he made when he saw them together and she regularly got jealous of him doing much smaller things, then thought she had the right to get angry at him for being jealous. I didn't like it at all. I liked Billy's character because the guy was really sweet, but I didn't like the love triangle and I didn't like how it made Anna act like a shrew. If that love triangle hadn't been there, I probably would  have adored the book, but, as it is, I can only really like it.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. There were tons of thrills to go along with the mystery and, though I suspected who it was early on, it still kept me riveted. Despite any issues I had, I really enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was lovely.

Born of Deception was a fantastic YA read. Though I had a couple of problems with it, I still really liked it and I definitely enjoyed reading it. Fans of book 1, I think you'll like this sequel. And YA lovers, this is a series worth checking out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment