Friday, May 2, 2014

To Charm a Naughty Countess by Theresa Romain

To Charm a Naughty Countess (The Matchmaker Trilogy, #2)
Release date: May 6, 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: The Matchmaker Trilogy #2

Caroline, the popular widowed Countess of Stratton, has no wish to remarry. But when the brilliant, reclusive Duke of Wyverne—her counterpart in an old scandal—returns to town after a long absence, she finds herself as enthralled as ever.

Michael must save his family fortunes by wedding an heiress, but Caroline vowed that she would never sell herself in marriage again. The only way she can keep him near is to help him find the wealthy bride he requires.

As she guides him through society, Caroline realizes that she’s lost her heart again. But if she pursues the only man she’s ever loved, she’ll lose the life that she holds dear. And if Michael, who has everything to lose, ever hopes to win her hand, he must open his long-shuttered heart.


My Rating: 5 Roses

Emotional, romantic, and absolutely fantastic, To Charm a Naughty Countess was a wonderful historical romance. I loved this book! It was deep, sensuous, and a truly enjoyable read. Loved it!

My favorite part of this book was undoubtedly the portrayal of emotion. I've read a few of Theresa Romain's books, and I've found that she has a gift for showing deep emotions and doing it subtly, so it doesn't become overdramatic. I really like that about her books and this one is no exception.

Caroline was a lovely heroine. She was independent and, after going through scandal and a marriage to an old, but kindly, gentleman, she was determined to live her life on her own terms. She knew what she wanted and refused to compromise. That frustrated me when I just wanted her and Michael to be together, but she wasn't a drama queen about it, so I couldn't get truly bothered by it, other than one scene where she was rather harsh. Overall, I really liked her.

Michael was just amazing. He was the definition of an eccentric gentleman. For example, after dragging himself to a ball, he instead spent his time in a quiet room, dismantling a lamp to see how it worked. He struggled with social niceties and had a habit of saying the wrong thing, but he never did it out of anything bad. He was a truly good man who was just utterly perplexed by the expectations of Society. He was very sweet and very devoted to his land and its people. I totally adored him.

The romance was lovely. Caroline and Michael, thought they don't seem like it on the surface, were a perfect couple. Though I usually get annoyed with romances where one person is trying to find a match for the other. Most of the time, it results in irritating melodrama. But, it was very well done in this book. The progression of their relationship made sense and worked very well. They were very sweet together, and the chemistry between them was steamy. They were wonderful together.

The plot was well paced and I was hooked the entire way through. I liked how the pace was steady, but not slow. More like deliberate, in a way that kept me interested. I really enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was perfect.

To Charm a Naughty Countess was a fantastic historical romance. I totally loved this book! It was a truly enjoyable read. Romance lovers, you definitely need to read this book.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment