Friday, May 16, 2014

The Dark World by Cara Lynn Shultz

The Dark World (Dark World, #1)
Release date: May 27, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: Dark World #1

Paige Kelly is used to weird--in fact, she probably corners the market on weird, considering that her best friend, Dottie, has been dead since the 1950s. But when a fire demon attacks Paige in detention, she has to admit that things have gotten out of her league. Luckily, the cute new boy in school, Logan Bradley, is a practiced demon slayer-and he isn't fazed by Paige's propensity to chat with the dead. Suddenly, Paige is smack in the middle of a centuries-old battle between warlocks and demons, learning to fight with a magic sword so that she can defend herself. And if she makes one wrong move, she'll be pulled into the Dark World, an alternate version of our world that's overrun by demons-and she might never make it home.

My Rating: 5 Roses

 A fast-paced, action-packed, and adorably romantic read, The Dark World was a fantastic YA paranormal romance. I loved this book! The romance was sweet, the secrets were plenty, and the thrills were nonstop. I really enjoyed reading this wonderful book.

Paige was a lovely heroine. She was strong and determined not to let others' opinions bring her down. When faced with a new world full of danger, rather than hide away, she decided to stay and fight. My only issue wasn't with her as a character, but with how she became a Traveler. I assume it was because she died and was resuscitated, but would that mean that everyone who was ever brought back to life became a Traveler? Why was it only her? However, despite my skepticism, I thought she was a wonderful character. She was tough, clever, and very likable.

Logan was such a sweetie! I adored his character. He was just wonderful. He was very sweet, determined to do what he thought was right, and very protective of who he cared about. He also had a lot of secrets hidden in his past that were very surprising when they were revealed. They certainly added a greater depth to his character. I thought he was amazing and I totally adored him.

The romance was very sweet. Paige and Logan were adorable together. Despite hesitance and miscommunication, it was always obvious that they had feelings for each other and, when they finally admitted it, they were a lovely couple. I loved how devoted Logan was to Paige and how determined he was to keep her safe. But, it also went the other way around, with Paige intent on keeping Logan from harm and I thought that reciprocation was great. I thought they were perfect together.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. There were tons of thrills and secrets that kept me on the edge of my seat. There was never a dull moment with all the demons around. Quick mention about the world-building. It was well done and created a very interesting world of demons and warlocks. It wasn't fully explained or explored, but I'm guessing we'll see more of it in the next book, especially with how this one ended. I really enjoyed the story and the ending has me excited for book 2. Can't wait to read it!

The Dark World was a brilliant YA paranormal romance. I absolutely loved this book! From the secrets, to the romance, to the endless thrills, this book was fantastic. YA lovers, this is a book you'll definitely want to read.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment