Sunday, May 18, 2014

Dancing With A Devil by Julie Johnstone

Dancing With A Devil (A Whisper of Scandal Novel, # 3)
Release date: February 27, 2014
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: Whisper of Scandal #3

A Lord Chained To His Past…

Lord Trent Rutherford’s past has left him guarded, jaded and perfectly content to spend the rest of his life moving from one meaningless affair to the next. Until he meets Lady Audrey Cringlewood, an innocent beauty who makes him question everything he believes. His devilish demeanor guards more than a wounded heart. Behind his swagger lie secrets he’d rather forget than face, but the price of forgetting may be his second chance at life.

A Lady Determined To Shape Her Future…

Audrey Cringlewood longs to marry for love, not convenience. After several months of flirtatious banter, secret smiles and three very unforgettable kisses, Trent Rutherford, the rake known as Sin, proves himself the man of her dreams. Audrey suspects she understands the pain he hides behind his devil may care attitude, but when the truth comes to light, is her love enough to heal all wounds or will the secrets Trent guarded so carefully tear them apart forever?


My Rating: 2 Roses

Unfortunately, I didn't really like this book. It was an okay read, but I wasn't engaged by the characters or fully drawn into the story. Overall, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great of a read.

Audrey was an okay heroine. I liked that she was strong and determined to live a life that made her happy. Unfortunately, sometimes that strength would cross the line into shrewish. She could be really...mean. And judgmental. And, just overall not very likable. Too often, she would listen to rumor and let that affect her opinion, without getting the full story, even though, as a victim of gossip herself, she should have known how distorted it could be. I never did like her, but I was just okay with her.

Trent was a little better. He could be very sweet and it was obvious, even when he didn't want to admit it, that he was a man that loved deeply. However, he could also be as stubborn as an ass and twice as frustrating. But, overall, I did like him.

The romance was okay. Since I never did get drawn into the characters, I didn't get fully engaged into the romance. And it was extremely frustrating how random things would pop up just to cause conflict in their relationship. They literally served no other purpose, didn't deepen the story at all. They were just there to be obstacles and it undermined any enjoyment I might have gotten out of the romance. I will say, though, that I really liked how Audrey and Trent loved each other despite all the obstacles that came up, as pointless as they were. And, for those who want to know, this was a mostly clean romance.

The plot wasn't bad. I definitely wasn't hooked, but I was at least kept interested. But, I didn't really like the story (because of those annoying random plot detours). The ending though, was sweet.

Dancing with a Devil was an okay read. I didn't really like it, but I was okay with it. I wouldn't really recommend this book, as I didn't enjoy it much, but I know others liked it, so it might be your book. It just wasn't mine.

*I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment