Sunday, April 6, 2014

You Again by Ashlee Mallory

You Again
Release date: March 24, 2014
Publisher: Entangled: Ignite
Genre: Romantic Thriller

A hopeless crush…

Back in high school, Allie McBride thought the sun set around Sam Fratto’s smiles, even if they were only friends. Now she’s older, wiser, hotter, and teaching at the same school they grew up in. When Sam joins the faculty, she has a chance to make good on the crush that got away. But when a dead body turns up on school grounds, they realize there might be a murderer in their midst. The heat keeps getting hotter between Allie and Sam, but more might be in danger than their hearts…

The cute kid from high school is all grown up…

A family crisis brings true-crime writer Sam Fratto back to town after more than a decade’s absence. Teaching at his alma mater seems like a good way to pass the time—especially when he sees that Allie, the geeky, sweet-mannered girl from high school, has blossomed into the saucy teacher in the classroom next door. Too bad finding a dead body transforms his return into one of his true-crime books come to life. And when it seems the killer might be after Allie next, it’s up to him to keep her safe…

A killer determined to keep the past buried at any price…

As if dealing with the return of one ghost from her past wasn’t enough, it looks like the killer might be the person they least suspected. Someone from the past. Someone with something to hide. Someone who thinks Allie and Sam are getting a little too close to the truth. If Allie and Sam are going to get out of this alive, these two friends to lovers will have to work together…or die together…


My Rating: 2 Roses

Unfortunately, I didn't much like this book. The mystery was well done, but I wasn't a fan of the characters and I didn't get drawn into the story. So, it wasn't a book for me.

I didn't like either of the main characters. Ashlee was frequently self-righteous, judgmental, and I don't understand why she fancied herself a detective. Where was the police in all of this? It's like they didn't exist at all, until they arrested the killer after Ashlee already figured it out (or, really, stumbled on the answer). She wasn't terrible, I did like that she was tough and refused to be cowed by anyone, but it wasn't enough for me to like her.

Sam was okay. I didn't really feel like I got to know his character. There were constant references to the town disliking him for what he wrote in his books, but that was never expanded on and I felt like there were so many things about him that could have been deepened. He was fine, but not my favorite hero.

The romance felt shallow, because I never got into either of the characters. If felt like, most of the time, they were just wary of each other.

The plot was okay. I wasn't hooked, but I was kept interested the entire way though, just because of the mystery. That was really the saving grace of the book and it's what prompted me to give it 2 roses, when I might have otherwise given it 1. The mystery was well done and I definitely never suspected who it turned out to be and how insane this person was. I was okay with the story and the ending was fine.

You Again was an okay read. Though I didn't like it much, I did enjoy the mystery it involved. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you want a mystery, then you might want to look this one up.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment