Sunday, April 13, 2014

Unwed and Unrepentant by Marguerite Kaye

Unwed and Unrepentant
Release date: April 15, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance

Burned by love and fearful of being trapped by marriage, headstrong Lady Cordelia Armstrong is furious when her father manipulates her into a betrothal with his business partner, and her one-time lover, Iain Hunter.

Understanding Cordelia's reluctance, Iain proposes a pretend engagement. For now they will make believe, but there is no need to fake the attraction that still burns hotly between them. As they travel to magical Arabia, the lines between fantasy and reality blur. Will either of them really be able to walk away once their deal is done?


My Rating: 2 Roses

Unfortunately, this didn't turn out good for me. I didn't dislike this book, but neither did I like it much. But, the story was fine and it was an overall okay read.

Cordelia was a frustrating heroine. I liked that she was independent and wanted to live life on her own terms. However, I didn't like that she could be infuriatingly stubborn about all the wrong things and had a serious problem with assuming things about other people (i.e: Iain) that made her push them away. I got annoyed with her more than once. So, I didn't like her too much, but I was okay with her.

Iain was better. He was sweet and willing to go after what he wanted. But, he had an issue with miscommunication that caused problems more than once. At the risk of sounding cheesy, I would say he seriously needed to learn how to express his feelings. And, like Cordelia, he was so stubborn about making their relationship seem platonic, that he just caused problems that didn't need to exist. I understood both of their reluctance, but not to the point that it became aggravating. Again, I didn't love him, but, overall, I was okay with him.

The romance was okay. Honestly, with both Cordelia and Iain dragging their feet, it was a bit frustrating. I thought they were well matched, but their reluctance sapped away at the sweetness of it. One part that was left intact was the seriously hot chemistry between them. Quite a few steamy scenes in store with these two.

The plot was fine, though I wasn't hooked. There were a few parts that dragged, probably just because something annoyed me and made me lose interest for a while. But, something kept me going and I ended up liking the story. And, the ending was good.

Unwed and Unrepentant was an okay historical romance. I didn't love it, but I was okay with it. I wouldn't really recommend it, because it didn't work for me, but it's up to you if you want to read it. 

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment