Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy, #3)
Release date: April 29, 2014
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: The Sweet Trilogy #3

It’s time.

Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.

The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom.


My Rating: 5 Roses

I don't even know where to start with this book. What can I say? I loved the first two books of the Sweet Trilogy, and I was expecting a lot from the third and final book. And, hell yes, it delivered! Sweet Reckoning was a brilliant conclusion to an amazing series. It was everything I hoped for and more. I can't overemphasize how much I loved this book. Fans of the series, you will definitely not be disappointed.

Anna was wonderful. Over the course of the first two books, she slowly became stronger and, in this book, she proved that she was a force to be reckoned with. She faced down demons, determined to save who she could and usher in a new age for the Nephs. All the while, she stayed a genuinely kind person who is impossible not to like. I loved her in the previous books, and I loved her even more in this one.

Kaiden...how I adore him. He was so sweet and determined to stand by Anna, no matter what. He showed just how much he was willing to risk for a chance at redemption and a chance to be with the girl he loved and proved that he was a hero worthy of the title. Ugh, he's just so perfect. I adored him so much and I'm so sad that I don't get to see more of him after this. Oh, well. That's what rereading is for :)

The romance was lovely. Anna and Kaiden are just so sweet together, with some serious chemistry that got surprisingly hot. Their relationship took a turn that I wasn't expecting and that might be a little controversial with some readers, but I really liked it. It might not work for every couple, but it worked for them. They were a perfect couple.

All the other characters were wonderful as well. Kope, Blake, Jay, Marna, Ginger, Zania. They all proved themselves as strong and willing to fight for the chance of freedom from the Dukes. Some of their stories had surprising twists that were both amazing and broke my heart. I loved them all and I'm so happy with how things ended for (most of) them.

My only two problems with the book were: 1) it toed the line becoming preachy, with its slight emphasis on prayers and Christianity, which might make some people uncomfortable, and I didn't love it either. 2) After the final battle, we get a couple of chapters of aftermath and an epilogue (which I LOVED!), but I wish I could have seen more on how the Nephs  as a whole found a way to move on and make a new life for themselves. Of course, both of these were very minor issues and didn't have much of an effect on how much I adored the book.

The plot was fast paced and I was utterly riveted the entire way through. This book took so many twists and turns and surprises that I never saw coming. I was totally on the edge of my seat. Woe to the person who tried to interrupt me while I was frantically reading this. The story was thrilling, romantic, and everything I could want in the conclusion of one of my favorite series. The ending was amazing, and I loved how the epilogue showed how things turned out for our characters. I'm so sad to see this series end, but I couldn't have asked for a better conclusion.

Sweet Reckoning was just brilliant. I loved this book so much! It was a perfect conclusion to a fantastic series. From beginning to end, it was thrilling, romantic, and a wonderful read. Fans of the series, you won't be disappointed. And, YA romance lovers, the Sweet Trilogy is a must read.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment