Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sing Sweet Nightingale by Erica Cameron

Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)
Release date: March 4, 2014
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: The Dream War Saga #1

Mariella Teagen hasn't spoken a word in four years.

She pledged her voice to Orane, the man she loves—someone she only sees in her dreams. Each night, she escapes to Paradise, the world Orane created for her, and she sings for him. Mariella never believed she could stay in Paradise longer than a night, but two weeks before her eighteenth birthday, Orane hints that she may be able to stay forever.

Hudson Vincent made a pledge to never fight again.

Calease, the creature who created his dream world, swore that giving up violence would protect Hudson. But when his vow caused the death of his little brother, Hudson turned his grief on Calease and destroyed the dream world. The battle left him with new abilities and disturbing visions of a silent girl in grave danger—Mariella.

Now, Hudson is fighting to save Mariella's life while she fights to give it away. And he must find a way to show her Orane’s true intentions before she is lost to Paradise forever.


My Rating: 5 Roses

Wow. This book was AMAZING! I'm going to be honest, I'm a bit speechless after reading this bunch of awesomeness, but I'll attempt to find words. Sing Sweet Nightingale was absolutely brilliant! Dark, creepy, thrilling, romantic, and just pure perfection, this book took my expectations and blew them right out of the water. I absolutely LOVED this book!

I didn't know what to expect going into this book, so I went in blindly and hoped for the best. Of course, this book delivered even more than that. The author did a fantastic job creating the dreamworld and magic surrounding it. The whole thing about the demons luring unsuspecting victims into their world was delightfully creepy and well thought out, with the portals and the crystals and all the other cool stuff. There weren't any holes in the world building and I look forward to seeing more from this dreamworld in book 2.

Mariella was a lovely heroine. At first, she seems weak-willed and somewhat self-destructive, since she was being closely controlled by a demon and regularly brainwashed. But, as Hudson started to draw her out of Orane's mental chains, her real character started to come out. The real Mariella was very strong, clever, and determined. She was a force to be reckoned with. I really liked how that battle between the brainwashed Mariella and the real Mariella was portrayed. It was like a tug-of-war and Mariella's struggle was clear. I really liked her character. I thought she was wonderful.

Hudson was also amazing. Right away, he showed himself to be strong, clever, and fiercely loyal to and protective of those he cared about. He was absolutely determined to save Mariella from the dreamworld that almost got him and help the victims of the demons. He was also very sweet and utterly adorable. I absolutely loved him. He was just perfect.

The romance was light, since, for most of the book, Mariella was still under the illusion of loving Orane, though, even then, there were hints of interest. Hudson's feelings were always clear, though they weren't the center of his focus. I thought they were lovely together and, hopefully, we'll see more of them in book 2.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. There were twists, turns, thrills, and it all kept me on the edge of my seat. I loved the progression of the story with how Mariella slowly began to remember her old life and question the dreamworld. I really enjoyed the story and the ending has me excited to see more. Can't wait for book 2!

Sing Sweet Nightingale was a brilliant YA paranormal read. I loved this book! Everything about it was just amazing. It was delightfully dark, wonderfully creepy, and absolutely amazing. YA lovers, this book is a must read.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment