Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Viola Doyle or An Unconventional Gift by Amy Lynn Spitzley

Viola Doyle or An Unconventional Gift
Release date: March 3, 2014
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press
Genre: YA Neo-Victorian/Paranormal 
Series: Viola Doyle #1

Riding her bicycle at a speed no proper young woman would attempt, letting her hair fly free, conversing with statues of long-dead heroines—these are all par for the course for Viola Doyle, much to her mother's chagrin.

Keeping her newfound magical pin safe from those who would use it to unsavory ends and dealing with a handsome young historian takes quite a bit more effort.

And then, of course, there is the dragon...

To save herself and those she loves, it is up to Viola to become her own heroine, or suffer a terrible fate...


My Rating: 4 Roses

A lovely YA read, Viola Doyle was absolutely fantastic! I really liked this book. It had mystery, action, secrets, magic, romance and it was all wonderful. Loved this book!

Viola was a lovely heroine. She was very clever, strong-willed, and determined to live her life as she pleased. Though, sometimes, her tendency for drama made her jump to erroneous conclusions that were a bit frustrating. But, overall, I really liked her.

Mikhail was the love interest in this book and he was sweet. He was very smart and so cute in how he courted Viola. I just adored him.

The romance was sweet. Viola and Mikhail were so cute together and I thought they were a lovely couple.

My issue with the book was the it wasn't the deepest or most unpredictable read. And, I know this is only the first book in the series, but I wish things had been explained and tied together more. Especially with the dragon. She had her own story for most of the book and came in at the last couple of chapters. I wanted the two stories to come together more, because they still feel separate. However, these issues were minor, so they didn't ruin the book for me. I still really liked the book.

The plot went by quickly and I was kept interested the entire way through. The mystery of who was behind all the chaos was great and I loved how the dragon was her own character. I really enjoyed the story and the ending has me curious about what's coming next.

Viola Doyle was a wonderful YA read. It was sweet, thrilling, fun, and a truly enjoyable read. YA romance lovers, this is a book worth checking out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment