Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Girl and The Raven by Pauline Gruber

The Girl and The Raven
Release date: December 15, 2013
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance

Good versus evil just got complicated.

Sixteen-year-old Lucy Walker just wants a normal life, until she learns she is half-witch, half-demon. Now she's got other problems, like keeping her demon dad from killing her boyfriend, keeping the witches in her life from killing her demon dad, and keeping her non-supernatural friends safe from both sides. All the while she’s desperately searching for the family raven that carries her magical legacy. She's walking a tightrope between good and evil, drawn to both, uncertain which she will ultimately choose.


My Rating: 2 Roses

I'm going to keep this short, since I didn't much like this book. This book had an interesting idea, but it wasn't executed well. I was intrigued enough that I finished the book, because I wanted to find out what happened but, I didn't end up liking it. It wasn't a bad book, but it just wasn't for me.

The characters were okay. Lucy was rather frustrating. I know she was supposed to be 15, but a lot of young heroines in YA act mature and rise to the situation. I didn't really get that from Lucy. She was a little too flighty and passive about her situation. Also, I didn't really liked how a love triangle was forced in, when the original romance would have done fine.

I think my biggest problem was that there wasn't built up. By that I mean that there wasn't any suspense, wondering what was going on, who was friend or enemy. I didn't really care what was going on because I wasn't drawn into the characters or the plot.

The part of the book the saved it a little was the ending. That last few chapters were intense, with action and secrets revealed. That was when I finally started to get hooked, but then it was over and it was too late to save the book for me.

The Girl and The Raven was an okay book. It just wasn't for me. I know others enjoyed it, but I didn't much like it.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment