Sunday, March 30, 2014

Best Kind of Broken by Chelsea Fine

Best Kind of Broken (Finding Fate, #1)
Release date: March 4, 2014
Publisher: Forever
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Series: Finding Fate #1

Pixie and Levi haven't spoken in nearly a year when they find themselves working―and living―at the same inn in the middle of nowhere. Once upon a time, they were childhood friends. But that was before everything went to hell. And now things are... awkward.

All they want to do is avoid each other, and their past, for as long as possible. But now that they're forced to share a bathroom, and therefore a shower, keeping their distance from one another becomes less difficult than keeping their hands off each other. Welcome to the hallway of awkward tension and sexual frustration, folks. Get comfy. It’s going to be a long summer.


My Rating: 3 Roses

Not bad, but not amazing. Best Kind of Broken was a good New Adult romance. It wasn't perfect, but it was enjoyable. I didn't love it, but I did like it.

Pixie was an okay heroine. She was tougher that she looked and very determined when she set her mind to something. She could be a bit unreasonable at times, though. Nothing major, but stupid little things that frustrated me and kept me from really liking her. But, overall, I was fine with her.

Levi was the same for me. He could be sweet when he wanted and was very protective of those he loved. But, he could be a massive blockhead and he did dumb things that made me want to whack him upside the head. For the most part, though, I liked him.

The romance was good. It was rather frustrating how Pixie and Levi just kept tip-toeing around each other, rather than facing their demons. But, their feelings for each other were always clear. There were sparks between them, though I wasn't totally feeling it. Despite any problems I had, I still thought they were great together, with their shared history and the depth of their feelings.

I had a few other problems with this book. 1) There seemed to be plot devices that were there for a minute, then just disappeared. They didn't even seem to have much of a function. The two that I'm referring to are Matt (Pixie's boyfriend in the beginning) and Pixie's verbally abusive mother. Matt seemed to just be there to strike jealousy between Pixie and Levi. Once they broke up, he just vanished. It didn't help that I had more sympathy for the poor guy-who was nothing but nice-than I did for the main characters. Pixie's mom was almost a nonentity, as well. They talked about her a lot, then she appeared to cause a bit of chaos, then she was barely mentioned again. Seriously? 2) The writing was a bit forced at times. As if it was trying too hard to be casual, modern, funny, whatever, and it just didn't turn out quite right. 3) The conflicts seemed to resolve a bit too easy. Pixie and Levi were struggling with their guilt and it was so emphasized and then it just...disappeared. There was no healing process. It was one minute they were guilt-ridden and the next, they realized they didn't need to feel guilty. What? Where's the emotional journey? The steady path to healing? Nope. Just, bam, we're good. Then, Pixie decided she wanted to be ridiculous and, without talking it out or actually communicating their problems, it was all okay again. This part may have been part of Pixie's periodic unreasonableness, but it was annoying nonetheless.

All those problems affected by enjoyment, hence the lower rating. They didn't ruin the book, but they did lessen it. However, overall, I still liked the book, so it wasn't a total deal-breaker.

The plot was okay. I was kept interested the entire way through. Despite any problems, I did still enjoy the story and I thought the ending was sweet. This book wasn't perfect, but it was still an enjoyable read.

Best Kind of Broken was a good New Adult romance. It had a few issues, but I still enjoyed reading it. I won't outright recommend this book, but it's worth looking up.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment