Sunday, March 23, 2014

Belle Gone Bad by Sabine Starr

Release date: March 20, 2014
Publisher: Kensington 
Genre: Historical (Old West) Romance
Series: Gone Bad #4

A Little Scandal. . .

Belle Thompson will do just about anything to bring the murderer of her father and fiancĂ© to justice. Even partner up with Mercy Huntingdon, a notorious artist known more for his scandalous sculptures than his skill with a six-shooter. But Belle and Mercy may have a common enemy, and if posing as his muse—a sensuous lady of the evening—will get Belle her man, the Texas beauty is up to the challenge. . .

Might Do A Girl Good. . .

Mercy Huntingdon needs Belle Thompson. Not only in his big, brass bed, but by his side as he tracks a kidnapper. Yet once he crosses into outlaw country with the gorgeous bounty hunter, all of his protective instincts go into overdrive—as well as a passion more powerful than the revenge that drives them both...


My Rating: 3 Roses

A lovely Old West romance, Belle Gone Bad was a wonderful read. I enjoyed reading this sweet and hot romance.

Belle was a good heroine. She was tough and knew how to hold her own. My only issue with her was that, for her usual cleverness and perceptiveness, she was remarkably blind to the character of her old fiance, which seemed oddly out of character. But, for the most part, I really liked her.

Mercy was very sweet. Rather than the hyper-alpha men we usually see in western romances, Mercy was much more gentle and calm. He was more a lover than a fighter, but don't let that fool you. When it came down to it, he would fight for what he wanted. He was very clever and a formidable opponent if you got on his bad side. I thought he was super sweet and I adored him.

The romance was lovely. Belle and Mercy were very sweet together, with how they balanced each other out. And the chemistry between them was hot.

The plot was the big issue I had with this book. As much as I love romance, the romance in this book ate up any other parts of the plot. For one, the truth about Mercy's past should have been a shocking reveal that really got me going, but I was a little underwhelmed by it. There wasn't a build up. And, the other main problem was that the whole mystery of the missing woman was, again, underwhelming. I wasn't really drawn in to the mystery and I didn't really care when she was found. It seemed like that kidnapping was introduced in the first quarter, ignored in the middle half, and quickly resolved in the final quarter, so I didn't get many thrills out of the mystery. I just needed more balance in the plot. However, despite this issue, I still enjoyed the book. I didn't love the story, but I definitely liked it. So, overall, this was a good read.

Belle Gone Bad was a lovely historical romance. It wasn't perfect, but I still liked it and enjoyed reading it. Romance lovers, if you want a good Old West read, then you might want to check this book out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment