Tuesday, March 25, 2014

After the End by Amy Plum

After the End (After the End, #1)
Release date: May 6, 2014
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: YA Dystopia/Romance
Series: After the End #1

She’s searching for answers to her past. They’re hunting her to save their future.

World War III has left the world ravaged by nuclear radiation. A lucky few escaped to the Alaskan wilderness. They've survived for the last thirty years by living off the land, being one with nature, and hiding from whoever else might still be out there.

At least, this is what Juneau has been told her entire life.

When Juneau returns from a hunting trip to discover that everyone in her clan has vanished, she sets off to find them. Leaving the boundaries of their land for the very first time, she learns something horrifying: There never was a war. Cities were never destroyed. The world is intact. Everything was a lie.

Now Juneau is adrift in a modern-day world she never knew existed. But while she's trying to find a way to rescue her friends and family, someone else is looking for her. Someone who knows the extraordinary truth about the secrets of her past.


My Rating: 4 Roses

What would you do if literally everything you knew was built on a lie? That's exactly what happens to Juneau and the story only starts there. For there, she deal with secrets, lies, kidnapping, drugs, but, lucky for her, also some romance with a boy hiding his own secrets. It was all completely wonderful. After the End was thrilling, romantic, and a fantastic YA read. I really enjoyed reading this wild ride of an unpredictable book.

Juneau was in a very difficult situation. Her entire world was turned upside down and she was left trying to find her family and trying to uncover the truth. She was very strong and very loyal to those she loved. She was clever, tough, and definitely a force to be reckoned with. My one issue with her was that she was also a bit conceited. She was often condescending to Miles and that was irritating. Overall, though, I really liked her.

Miles was wonderful. He had secrets of his own and, though he seems flippant and shallow on the surface, you wouldn't do well to underestimate him. When it was most important, he was strong and clever and determined. He was also very sweet and absolutely hilarious. He was out of his element and his observations made me laugh. I adored him. I thought he was wonderful.

The romance was great. Juneau and Miles were sweet together. Despite their wariness of each other and the secrets the both held, their feelings for each other were always clear. And, these two made a totally bad ass team. They were a wonderful couple.

I had a few problems, though. Most of them were just that I needed more explanation. I had a lot of questions that weren't answered. For example, how did an entire group of people live under the illusion that the world was a post-apocalyptic landscape outside of their oasis? How is it that no one from the outside saw them? How was it that, despite growing up completely separate from modern society, Juneau was able to figure it out with almost no problems? I know she had books about life in the 1980's but the world changed an awful lot between then and now. All that just didn't quite fit, so it did take away from the book. But, it wasn't a deal breaker, because I still really enjoyed the book.

The plot was fast paced. There were some slow parts, but I was hooked for most of the way through. There were tons of thrills that kept me on the edge of my seat, as well as secrets that I never saw coming. The truth behind the "post-apocalyptic" village and how it connected to Miles' father was a huge surprise that blew me away. The dept of the deception was astounding. And, after that ending, I'm dying to find out what happens next.

After the End was a fantastic YA read. It had everything you could want in a book: romance, thrills, secrets, lies, and an ending that left me wanting more. I really loved this amazing book. Lovers of YA romance, this is a book you don't want to miss. 

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment