Thursday, February 13, 2014

Such Sweet Sorrow by Jenny Trout

Such Sweet Sorrow
Release date: February 4, 2014
Publisher: Entangled: Teen
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance/Retelling

Never was there a tale of more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo…But true love never dies. Though they’re parted by the veil between the world of mortals and the land of the dead, Romeo believes he can restore Juliet to life, but he’ll have to travel to the underworld with a thoroughly infuriating guide.

Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, may not have inherited his father’s crown, but the murdered king left his son a much more important responsibility—a portal to the Afterjord, where the souls of the dead reside. When the determined Romeo asks for help traversing the treacherous Afterjord, Hamlet sees an opportunity for adventure, and the chance to avenge his father’s death.

In an underworld filled with leviathan monsters, ghoulish shades, fire giants and fierce Valkyrie warriors, Hamlet and Romeo must battle their way through jealousy, despair, and their darkest fears to rescue the fair damsel. Yet finding Juliet is only the beginning, and the Afterjord doesn’t surrender souls without a price…


My Rating: 5 Roses

Dark, romantic, and absolutely amazing! Such Sweet Sorrow was a brilliant YA romance/retelling. I absolutely loved this book! From the depiction of Shakespeare's characters, to the thrills, to the unexpected twist, this book was perfection.

I have to admit, I was a bit worried going in to this book. The author was taking on huge characters and changing their stories. And, because of how much I adore Shakespeare, it would only have taken one slip for me to be completely turned off from the book.  But, I think she did it brilliantly. She took the characters and made them her own in an original way that still stayed true to them. So, I thought that was perfect.

All three major characters were wonderful.
Romeo was so determined and entirely devoted to the woman he loved. He proved that his declarations of love weren't meaningless, staying true to them even against death. He was very sweet and I adored him character.

Juliet was also lovely. She was strong and held her own in a dangerous world. And, she was very loyal to Romeo, determined that he should make it out of the afterlife alive, even if she had to remain dead. She fought for her loved ones and proved herself as a heroine. I really liked her.

The romance between these famous lovers were so sweet. Their feelings for each other were obvious in everything they did and I thought they were a lovely couple.

Hamlet was a little more difficult to understand. He was aloof and utterly incapable of understanding other people's emotions and disinclined to spare them. But, when he came to consider a person his friend, he would fight all the way for them. I thought he was fantastic.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. There were tons of thrills along the way that kept me on the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed the story and that twist at the end left me stunned. The ending was bittersweet and I both loved it and resented it, for giving the hope of a happy ending, but not assuring it for me. There was a hint of more things to come at the end, but I haven't yet heard of a sequel. I really hope there will be one, because I'm not ready to let go of these newly imagined characters yet.

Such Sweet Sorrow was a brilliant YA read. From the romance, to the thrills, to the shocking twists, this book was amazing. I completely and totally adored this book! YA lovers, romance lovers, and Shakespeare lovers, this a book you don't want to miss.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment