Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Highwayman's Bride by Jane Beckenham

The Highwayman's Bride
Release date: December 9, 2013
Publisher: Entangled: Scandalous
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance

England, 1813

Forced into a marriage...
Compelled by her uncle to marry a man who has a predilection for violence, Tess Stanhope resorts to a ploy from her favorite novels to fund an escape - highway robbery. But her attempt is botched by a maddening, handsome rogue named Aiden.

Driven by revenge...
Aiden Masters, the Earl of Charnley, is hell-bent on avenging his sister's brutal treatment at the hands of the criminal Florian Nash. He single-mindedly seeks vengeance at the expense of all else - even by furtively roaming the highways at night.

Blackmailed for love...
At a London party Tess meets up with Aiden once again and blackmails him... marry her or she'll divulge to society his clandestine life as a highwayman. She desires a marriage in name only - but the more time they spend fighting their desire, the closer they come to giving in.


My Rating: 3.5 Roses

Sweet, thrilling, and full of secrets, The Highwayman's Bride was a lovely historical romance. I really enjoyed reading it. A lady blackmailing a would-be highwayman into marriage? That's a new one, and I thought it turned out great.

Tess was a good heroine. At times, I got annoyed with her. She made some really stupid decisions that made me want to shake some sense into her. But, she was also strong and a truly kind person at heart who had to do something she didn't want to do in order to get out of a bad situation. Overall, I liked her.

I had mixed feelings about Aiden as well. On one hand, he could be very sweet and he was determined to protect those he loved. On the other, he could be a total ass. I understood that he had a messy past, but I don't think that excused the full extent of how rude he was to Tess and to his son, Alexander (which is an entirely other complicated situation). In the end, I was okay with him, but I can't say that I really liked him.

The romance was good. It was hindered a little by Tess' tendency for recklessness and Aiden's grumpiness, but I still thought they were sweet together. Even when they didn't want to admit their feelings, those feelings were obvious. And, there was certainly some chemistry between them.

Alexander, Aiden's son, played a major role, and he was so adorable. I really liked his character. He was a total cutie.

The plot was okay. I wasn't completely hooked, but I was kept interested. I really enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was sweet.

The Highwayman's Bride was a lovely historical romance. Despite any issues I had, I still really liked it. Romance lovers, this is a book worth checking out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment