Saturday, January 11, 2014

Secrets at Court by Blythe Gifford

Secrets at Court
Release date: February 18, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Historical (Medieval) Romance

THE THRONE OF ENGLAND IS AT STAKE!

Anne of Stamford has long been the keeper of her mistress's secrets, but when Lady Joan marries the king's son, court life becomes ever more perilous. Sir Nicholas Lovayne has arrived to uncover the truth about Lady Joan's past, and Anne must do something, anything, to throw him off.

Longing to escape the intrigues at court, Nicholas hasn't counted on the way Anne distracts him, her refusal to accept pity for her clubfoot touches something deep inside him. Will he be able to follow his duty when every fiber of his being tells him to protect Anne?

Royal Weddings;

A hint of scandal this way comes!


My Rating: 4 Roses

A sweet romance filled with court drama, Secrets at Court was a lovely historical romance read. I really liked this book, from the romance, to the intrigue. It was a wonderful read.

I really liked Anne. She was very strong, in her own quiet way. I mean, she manages to live at court as a future queen's handmaiden, and she does it all with a crippled foot. She was very loyal and determined to be happy despite her disability. I thought she was great.

Nicholas was sweet. He was clever and determined and a true gentleman. A few times, though, I wanted to whack him upside the head for being so blind. Particularly when he projected his anger about his deceitful stepmother onto Anne, just because she was a woman with a secret (though it was a big, country-changing secret). But, overall, he was wonderful.

The romance was sweet. I really liked how these two fell slowly in love, going from wariness, to trust, to infatuation, and, finally, to love. There was a bit of spice, but that wasn't the focus of their relationship. I thought they were sweet together.

The plot was good. I was kept interested the entire way through, but I can't say that I was totally hooked. There were secrets in store that took me by surprise. I really enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was lovely.

Secrets at Court was a wonderful historical romance. It was sweet, enjoyable, and filled with court drama. Romance lovers, this is a book you'll want to check out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment