Friday, January 17, 2014

Must Love Dukes by Elizabeth Michels

Must Love Dukes (Tricks of the Ton, #1)
Release date: February 4, 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: Tricks of the Ton #1

Straight-laced, self-proclaimed spinster Lily Phillips is forced to become a liar, seductress and thief to retrieve her family’s lost property. Her secret is safe until her brothers order her from a quiet life to an arranged marriage in London—a move that threatens to reveal her past when she encounters the man with whom her crime spree began.

Devon Grey, Duke of Thornwood, known to all of London as the Mad Duke, is an explorer chained to a city he hates by the title he never wanted. After he’s coerced by his friend into an evening out, Devon makes his greatest discovery yet. There, in a London ballroom stands the prim miss he’s been in search of for a year. After all, how could he forget the night Lily stole from him and vanished while he slept?

Determined to have his revenge, Devon blackmails Lily into participating in various escapades to torment her would-be suitors and scandalize London society. At the risk of having her secret revealed, Lily bends to Devon’s will. Forced to participate in such terrible activities as setting hunting dogs upon a skirt chaser’s crotch in the middle of a ballroom, or knocking a pompous equestrian from his much revered high horse; she eventually begins to enjoy the stunts. Lily remembers why she let her guard down with Devon a year ago. In turn, Devon watches this mysterious Lily begin to bloom into the woman of his desires.

When Lily’s brothers force an unwanted betrothal upon her, will Devon choose to burn his dreams of scientific exploration and truly forgive her before it’s too late?


My Rating: 4.5 Roses

Fun, sweet, and a lovely read, Must Love Dukes was a fantastic historical romance. I really enjoyed reading this book and I totally loved it!

Lily was a good heroine. She was strong and determined to get what she wanted. But, I did have a couple of issues with her. For one, she was prone to being way over dramatic, which got to be frustrating. And, two, for such a strong willed character, she didn't give any fight when her brothers forced her into a betrothal. It just didn't make sense to the rest of her character. So, both of those took away from my enjoyment of the book, but I still really liked it and I still liked Lily. Overall, she was good.

Devon, on the other hand, was so sweet! He was utterly adorable and charming and basically perfect. I thought he was a perfect hero and I adored him.

The romance was sweet. Lily and Devon were lovely together. And, the sparks were flying between them from the moment they met, so there was a dash of spice in their relationship. I thought they were a wonderful couple.

The plot was fast paced. I was hooked the entire way through. There were thrills, secrets, and a few surprises that kept me on the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was super sweet.

Must Love Dukes was a fantastic historical romance. I really loved this book. It was fun and sweet, had some thrills to keep things interesting. Romance lovers, this is a book you'll definitely want to read.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


4 comments:

  1. Ooo, I've actually never heard of this historical romance novel, Farrah! I cannot believe this one escaped my notice! It sounds soooo good! I love it when the plot breezes by, yet the romance is sweet and spicy. Sounds exactly like the type of historical romance novel that I love to read! I'll keep my eye out for this one :D

    Fantastic review, Farrah!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This romance is definitely one to watch out for. i got an ARC of the sequel, Desperately Seeking Suzanna, and it was fantastic as well. I'm really liking this author, so I looking forward to reading more from her :)


    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing! This does sound like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a fun read :) Hope you like it, too, when you get the chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete